I'm being evicted, where can I obtain financial assistance for moving expenses?

Postby simon58 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello and thank you for reading my question:)

I am being evicted this month (April) from the apartment where I live. That's a done deal and there's nothing to work out with the landlord. I'm in a terrible predicament because I have very little money to work with (under $1,000).

Does anyone know of an organization that I can approach to request financial assistance for a few necessary expenses like 1) a small moving truck or van, 2) either the security deposit or the first month's rent for a new (much cheaper) apartment?, 3) a few other basic necessities such as food.

I have been working [only] two days a week since January (preparing income taxes) and my only source of income will come to an end in two weeks when the tax season comes to an end.

At this time, other than the small amount of money I mentioned above, I do not have money saved or invested anywhere. Worse yet, I do not have any credit available to me nor do I have a friend or relative that can help me.

If you have a moment, please share any helpful information you have. I keep hearing on the news of a "recovery" that's taking place but after more than 3 years of being between jobs, I cannot see where that recovery is happening. I only know I'm not involved in it:)

Thank you very much for your time:)
simon58

Postby fulbright7 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Try the Salvation Army, contact local churches, sometimes the food bank has a list of resources. I'm not far from being in the same predicament, and I wish you well.
fulbright7

Return to Jobs