Can anyone clarify for tax purposes what "first 4 years of post secondary education" means?

Can anyone clarify for tax purposes what "first 4 years of post secondary education" means?

Postby pyn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 am

I've recently returned to College after several years for another go-round at my degree and am a bit stumped by one of my new tax questions. I graduated High School in '98 and attended 2yrs of college, then joined the Air Force. Now done with my service, I've returned to college to complete a Transfer Program and am very close to completing my transfer equivalency for a major university. So my question is:

When filing my Form 1098-T, does the question asking, "Is the student within the first 4 years of their post-secondary education" refer to the first four years after my high School Graduation(IE: 1998 - 2002) or does it simply mean years of Education POST-High School(IE: Freshman, Junior, etc.)? If it's the latter I can still make a claim... if it's the former I can't.

Thanks in advance, I've checked the IRS website and around the internet, but all I can find is information regarding HOW to calculate taxes claiming the credit, nothing clarifying exactly what a year of post secondary education is.
pyn

Postby hassun32 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:56 am

It refers to the first four calendar years of education. If you had two year previously, it doesn't matter how long ago, you have two more calendar years in which you can claim the credit.
hassun32

Postby long » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 am

It's referring to college. If you are in your first 4 years of college then the answer would be "Yes". If not, no.
long

Postby kody30 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 am

Counts for anything up to getting your baccalaureate. Not Grad school.
kody30

Return to Taxes