Can I claim my mom as a Dependent on my tax return?

Postby christofer17 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

My mom does not work and she has no income. She lived with me for 5 months this year and I provide her food, clothes and allowances. She is moving to a senior housing apartment. I will give her $350 per month which will pay for her rent ($100 a month, the rest is subsidized), food and anything she needs. I also bought her furniture for the apartment. I am married and I file jointly with my husband. I’m not dependent of anyone else. Can I claim her as a dependent when I file tax next year? My concern is she is not living with me most of the year, even though I have and will continue to provide her financial support. Thank you for your answers!
christofer17

Postby brennon13 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

"the rest is subsidized"

Then you had better be able to PROVE you provided more than half of her total support. If the subsidy is more than $250 a month, you won't be eligible.

See IRS pub 501 for the detailed information you need to keep.

Ignore TRO. Parents do not have to live with you--and a nursing home is NOT required. (The nursing home is merely an example in the publication.) Support is.
brennon13

Postby sani37 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:58 am

the requirement is living in your household the entire year unless she is in a care facility rather than your home,the senior apt would not qualify
and more than 50% of her support would need to be determined as to the amount it costs to support her
is $350 a month more than 50% of her total support?
sani37

Postby elon18 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 am

You have to provide over half of her support to claim her, but she doesn't have to live with you at all actually, let alone any particular length of time. From the info you give, sounds like you can claim her.
elon18

Postby enzio4 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 am

Yes you can and there are certain test you need to meet:
provide more than 50% for her support (you do)
she is related to you
she earns less than personal exemption
and you can clam parent even if they don't leave with you
enzio4

Postby hrychleah41 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am

A parent doesn't have to live with you to be claimed. Sounds like you meet the other tests. Look at Pub 501 to be sure.
hrychleah41

Return to Taxes