Can I claim myself as independent on my taxes?

Can I claim myself as independent on my taxes?

Postby lenny17 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 am

I was wondering If I am eligible to claim myself as independent on my taxes, and if it is worth it. So, here is my situation. I am nineteen years old, a full time student at a community college and on paper live at home. However, I stay with a friend 4-6 days a week who lives in the city I go to college in. I only made $2100 last year. However, all of my expenses are paid by myself. Medical, Food, college tuition and expenses, car, gas, phone- everything. My parents don't have the money to help me with any of the expenses, and do not. I was in High School at the beginning of the 2009-2010 tax year, but even then 90% of my meals were not ate at home, and I was home then only a couple days a week. In everything but on paper, I do not live at home. Even when I am at home, my parents do not pay for the food I do eat- instead, I end up using any money I already have to pay for my own food. My question is thus: Is it possible to claim myself independent on my taxes from my parents even though I made less than 3500, and is it worth it to do so?
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am

Can I claim myself as independent on my taxes?

Postby marvyn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 am

Time away at school counts as still living at home. "Everything" would include your share of household expenses also. If you have large student loans and are paying rent and things like a share of utilities you don't mention, you might be providing over half of your own support and be able to file as independent. Otherwise, not on $2100.

Dependent or independent would make some difference to you taxwise. But you don't just get to choose. If your parents CAN claim you, even if they don't, you can't claim yourself.
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Can I claim myself as independent on my taxes?

Postby freowine95 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 am

There is no value* in you being an independent filer and claiming your own deduction. You can already file and get back all the FIT w/h from your paychecks (if any).

*maybe you would get a few $ from the Make Work Pay. idk at this time of night.

Your parents though stand to benefit between 400 and 800 $. They legally provide your housing, even though you "crash" at a friend's house.
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:15 am

Return to Taxes


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests