Can I redo my taxes using TurboTax?

Postby derrill94 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Long story short this guy did my taxes for me and charged me $400. I found out the reason I was getting so much back was because he didn't go by my effin wages on the w-2! I recieved a cp-05 letter from the irs, should I send them the info they want whis is a copy of my w-2 basically or should I use turbo tax and redo them myself. I had no clue he did this, until now, but now I wonder why my refund was so big...WTF?
derrill94

Postby uisdean24 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:48 pm

No, you cannot "redo" your taxes on turbo tax because they have already been filed. Follow the instructions listed on the CP-05. Did they adjust your refund and send you the right amount? Did you get back the large refund and now they are requesting money back? The best thing to do is to call the IRS either the general number or the number on your letter and speak to an agent to find out what needs to be done to fix your taxes.

Oh, by the way if your federal is wrong, your state might very well be wrong too, because most states use the federal numbers.

Word of wisdom; when you pay someone to do your taxes make sure they go over the figures with you. If they show you an amount that doesn't look right, ask them where that amount came from and make them explain it to you so you understand. If they don't, don't pay them and don't let them file your taxes because you are liable not the tax preparer.
uisdean24

Postby kaley76 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 pm

You just want to follow the instructions with the IRS letter. You normally do not do an amended return when you are having this type of dialogue with the IRS.

You may have a problem with the state that just has not been found yet. The fact that you already received a refund does not mean your state return was correct. After the IRS corrects your federal income, they will tell the state about it. This process could take awhile and you could be accruing penalties if you wait for them to find you.
kaley76

Postby darek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:54 pm

you amend, you never redo
darek

Return to Taxes