Can i write a check to myself without the funds in the bank>?

Postby jerett18 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I have 0$ in my account as of right now, but my check goes through tonight a little after midnight. Am i able to write a check to myself for say $40...and bring it to a check cashing place and cash it ?...will they check my balance..or will it go through? and if it goes through..the check shouldnt process before my money goes in tonight right?
jerett18

Postby brit » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 pm

no you cant
brit

Postby omeet » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 pm

That's called bouncing a check and it's a crime. You could be fined $500 or get up to 60 days in jail. If they try and cash your check today and your account is at $0, then you can face charges. I suggest waiting until you get money in your account.
omeet

Postby cooney » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Don't count on it.
cooney

Postby uzziel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:01 am

It depends on the check cashing place, many have started doing debit transfer checks, which means they process your check like a debit card, this will give them an insufficient funds response and should spit it back to them. If they still use the old paper check and process method where they submit the check to their bank and the bank requests the money from your bank this would take up to midnight the next day to complete the transaction. What you are proposing is also illegal in many States.
uzziel

Return to Money