My cats right eye is squinting and he keeps getting "eye boogers". Could this be an infection or..? Vet?

My cats right eye is squinting and he keeps getting "eye boogers". Could this be an infection or..? Vet?

Postby xabief80 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:51 pm

So my cat's right eye has been squinting. The left eye is normal, nothing wrong, and his right eye squints. Not so much that its close but it squints, and it keeps getting "eye boogers". And Im not sure, its kinda red/pinkish in the corner. Not too much though. My sister thinks he may have pink eye? Not sure, Im 13! But should I take him to the vet? Because my family really cant.. we cant afford to take a trip to the vet so they can charge us a fortune(so my dad says). My familys running low on money..So please tell me if this is easy to take care of, or if its serious and needs to be taken to the vet! Thanks(:
xabief80

Postby airleas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:53 pm

It sounds like an infection. Your cat needs to go to the vet for antibiotics or he won't get any better. And if it gets really bad, it may need the eye removed, or it will keep getting worse and worse
airleas

Postby westbroc82 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 pm

how long has his eye been like that?
if it has only been a day or so... watch it and it may get better.

do you have another cat?
sometimes my two cats fight and one ends up with a squinty eye that makes eye boogers.... after a few days it heals and he is fine.

he could have scratched himself as well.
I wouldn't worry unless it has been a week or more.
If that is the case.... take him to the vet.
westbroc82

Postby Å¡lfur28 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm

how long has his eye been like that?
if it has only been a day or so... watch it and it may get better.

do you have another cat?
sometimes my two cats fight and one ends up with a squinty eye that makes eye boogers.... after a few days it heals and he is fine.

he could have scratched himself as well.
I wouldn't worry unless it has been a week or more.
If that is the case.... take him to the vet.
take it to the vet. my dog had an eye infection it costed us maybe $80 for antibiotics and the visit. if you guys cannot afford that dont get any animals they need proper care
Å¡lfur28

Postby hob » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Most all cities have a low cost vet clinic. You can find one using google. You really need to be careful with eyes. If it is an infection, it will only get worse and your cat could lose his sight and maybe even have to have the eye removed.
hob

Postby bharain84 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm

he might just have something in his eye...
I'd recommend making a clean rag wet with warm water and gently holding it over his eye for a minute and then gently wiping. do this twice a day for another day. if it doesn't get a bit better I'd say take him to the vet.

you can check local shelters, most will do a "problem" visit for cheap (one near me is $38) and if it's anything it's an infection, antibiotics are cheap so probably about $15 for that. this shouldn't be an expensive visit at all.
------

he NEEDS to stay in, if you don't have enough money to take him to the vet how is he getting vaccines?
cats shouldn't be outside anyway, it's VERY dangerous. keep him in, he can't get out unless someone lets him out so just don't let him out.
bharain84

Postby haydon60 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Just get a wet rag and run it under hot water and wipe his eye about every 15-20 minutes then just put regular eye drops in and he'll be fine promise(=
haydon60

Postby niallan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:03 pm

I agree with Kylie Anne, first try to clean it out. It could be something simple like a hair.. you know how it hurts and bothers you when you get an eyelash in your eye? it could just be like that. Try a warm washcloth and try to get a little water or maybe even visine (the simple red-eye lubricating, not allergy or anything) and see if it goes away. If not, then vet.
niallan

Return to Money