If I didn't file my State taxes for the last few years can I still get a refund for the past years?

If I didn't file my State taxes for the last few years can I still get a refund for the past years?

Postby mavrick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:26 am

Through procrastination, I haven't filed my state taxes for the last couple years. I've filed my federal just not the state. Also partially because you always have to pay to file state taxes. If I file for this year and the previous years I didn't file, will I still get a refund? Also, how do I start that one. My taxes are simple and straight forward but I'm not clear on what my options are. Thanks.
mavrick

Postby jaden27 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 am

Go to the local H&R Block office and let them handle it for you. Without knowing all the facts and your exact situation it is impossible to know if you can get your refund or not.
jaden27

Postby wareine46 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 am

"Also partially because you always have to pay to file state taxes"
Any extension you filed will be considered null and void, so you can expect a late filing penalty as well as interest on the tax due.

"If I file for this year and the previous years I didn't file, will I still get a refund?"
Maybe, but the state could also flag and hold your return knowing there are outstanding returns.
wareine46

Postby burhdon76 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:31 am

Usually only back 3 years. So 2007 must be in by 4/15/2011 to get your refund.

"Also partially because you always have to pay to file state taxes" - no you don't. You could do them yourself and file for free, it's quite simple.
burhdon76

Return to Taxes