Disability and student loans?

Postby wine » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I understand that if I have student loans but have been declared permanently and totally disabled I do not have to pay back my student loans. What do I do? Just call the lenders and tell them I'm disabled and that's it? Is there some sort of process? Thanks
wine

Postby lauro96 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I understand that if I have student loans but have been declared permanently and totally disabled I do not have to pay back my student loans. What do I do? Just call the lenders and tell them I'm disabled and that's it? Is there some sort of process? Thanks
They would require extensive documentation from your doctors. If you could just call then everyone would do that. You'll need to call them and find out where to start; it's a very long process
lauro96

Postby dyllon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:17 pm

just because someone ELSE (like the government) has declaried you permanently and totally disabled does not mean that the student loan people think you are. You have to apply to have your loan discharged and provide all the necessary documentation to them before they (the student loan folks) decide if you can have your loan forgiven. Even if you are currently getting SSD or SSI doesn't mean you automatically get out of paying... just so you know. Also, this is only for FEDERAL student loans, if your loans are private, you would still have to pay on them or if you don't, your cosigner would, no matter if you are disabled or not.

So yeah, there is a process.. contact you lender for the proper paperwork to fill out and for your doctors to fill out.
dyllon

Return to Loans