Does paying my internet bill late affect my credit score?

Postby ruhdugeard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:22 pm

I have a subscription with optimum online internet service, and sometimes I pay the bill late. Does this effect my credit score?
ruhdugeard

Postby burrell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm

No, phone companies and Internet providers usually don't report your account to the credit bureaus. But if they send a collection agency after you, that agency may report you. A collection agency usually doesn't become involved until you're at least 3 months late.
burrell

Postby winfred » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Most bills will not get reported on your credit report until the bill has to go to collections. The chances are missing a periodic payment will not impact your credit because most companies will wait a atleast 3 months before sending a debt to a collection agancy. I however strongly recommending calling them to verify what there policy is for reporting late payments. Just because most companies do not report debt after just one or two late payments it doesn't mean they can't.
winfred

Postby cartland20 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Your credit is hanging on a thread, really. I mean, the internet bill should be nothing in a person's life. You should have it on standing order and forget about it, that's what banks are there for.

Imagine you keep up with your late paying habits and one day you DO find out that one way or the other this works aganst you, regardless of what some internet stranger has told you.

What would you do then?
cartland20

Postby binean48 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm

NO
The only time it would affect your credit score is if you completely stopped paying it, it got shut off and the account was sold to a collection agency.
binean48

Postby jamison91 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:46 pm

No, it will not affect your credit score unless if you did stop pay them as disconnect the unpaid balance will directly to collector agency.
jamison91

Return to Credit Report & Credit Scores