Does the Insanity workout help build muscle?

Postby heanford » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:40 pm

I have been researching the Insanity workout and have read a lot about how it helps lose weight, but I'm not trying to lose weight, I want to gain muscle mass, and I was wondering if the Insanity workout would help me with that?

Are there any other programs that might be better? I go to the gym 5 days a week already, but I want something else that I can also do at home and I want a program that is absolutely worth the money and serves the purpose I want.

Thank in advance :-)
heanford

Postby andy42 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Muscle mass is achieved through high weight, low reps. The Insanity workout uses more isometrics and concentrates on cardio and endurance. You will gain muscle, but it's not going to be an efficient way to gain mass, especially quickly. You want lots of healthy calories, low reps to muscle exhaustion, and pound protein within 30 minutes after workout is complete.
andy42

Postby colla » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Matt,

I have done Insanity as well as another program from the same parent company which I'd recommend. Of all the in home video workout video programs, I would chooe P90X over Insanity if you want to gain mass. P90X isn't the ideal mass building program but it's better than insanity for what you want to do.

Insanity is all high impact, high intensity cardio. With P90X, you have three days of resistance training and three days of cardio/yoga training. Most of the resistance workouts can be done with heavy dumbbells, but the chest routines and a lot of the leg stuff is high rep bodyweight push ups and squats. Again, not ideal, but better than Insanity for what you want to do. Nutrition will also be key. Make sure you stay towards the upper end of the recommended calorie ranges. Some people who do P90X and want to lose weight think the recommended calorie ranges are high, but they were designed that way because you burn a lot of calories doing the workouts, so you need them for energy. I think most people end up going against that and put themselves in a little bit of a calorie deficit.

Having said all of that, what type of equipment do you have at home? If you have a squat rack and weights then that opens up a whole other world of programs you can do in a gym but transfer to home.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free ton contact me directly through my profile or blog.

- Chad
colla

Return to Money