Does my 16 year old have to file taxes since he is a minor?

Postby rickey10 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Do I file his w-2 with ours? (Parents)
rickey10

Postby claymore43 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 pm

No, he files his own taxes and will likely get every penny he paid back as he'll be below the minimum.
claymore43

Postby owen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:06 pm

If he has a job then yes, he needs to have his taxes filed.
owen

Postby hanford » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Check the detail of dependent child.... on url_not_allowed.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf

and also url_not_allowed.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html

A dependent may have to file a return even if his or her income is less than the amount that would normally require a return.

To find out whether a dependent must file, read the section that applies,

Earned Income Only:
A dependent must file a return if all his or her income is earned income, and the total is more than the amount listed in the following table.

Example:
William is 16. His mother claims an exemption for him on her income tax return. He worked part time on weekends during the school year and full time during the summer. He earned $5,800 in wages. He did not have any unearned income.

He must file a tax return because he has earned income only and his total income is more than $5,700. If he were blind, he would not have to file a return because his total income is not more than $7,100.
hanford

Postby michon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Any child that would have at least 950 or more of unearned income interest, dividends, capital gains, rental income, etc. would be required to file the 1040 federal income tax return and pay some amount of income tax on the amount over 950.Unearned Income Only
Go to the www.irs.gov website and use the search box for Publication 929 go to
Unearned Income Only

url_not_allowed.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000203743

Sorry for including the above information but some of the answer were trying to tell you that a child age could mean that they would NOT be required to file a 1040 federal income tax return so I just wanted to make it clear to you if you are smart enough to read and understand the rules that at your young age or even younger you can have a great learning experience with the preparation of your first 1040 federal income tax return and that should help prepare you for your future years that you will have ahead of you and you would be bale to brag to your friends and maybe even help educate some of them about the process after you have correctly completed your first 1040 federal income return made 2 copies and singed the 1 to go to the correct IRS address and printed 1 for you to keep for your records.
With only wages from an employer that has sent you or will be sending you a W-2 form for your gross wages earnings for the year you can use the below enclosed information for this purpose.
As a full time student under the age of 24 and still living with your parents in their home and you have NOT furnished more than 50% of your support you would still be a qualifying child dependent of your parents on your parents 1040 federal income tax return.
Now in this situation you would fill out your 1040EZ federal income tax return correctly and completely and when it is ready to be filed sign it and make 2 copies 1 for your records and 1 to be sent to the correct IRS address.
On the 1040EZ page 1 line 5 you will find a box that you will need to check indicating that someone can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return) as a dependent, check the applicable box(es) below and enter the amount from the worksheet on back.
And when you get to the line for your exemption amount on page 2 that amount will be -0- ZERO because you will not be allowed to claim your own exemption amount on your own 1040 income tax return because your parents will be claiming the amount on their 1040 income tax return.
Go to the www.irs.gov website and use the search box for 1040EZ and choose the instructions go to page 10

url_not_allowed.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040ez.pdf

url_not_allowed.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful
michon

Postby jeanne44 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:17 pm

of course he files his own tax return on his own income, it is not your income,not your SSn
jeanne44

Postby sutciyf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:20 pm

You never file anyone's W2 but your spouses in the case of a joint return. You child files their own return, being a minor is irrelevant.
sutciyf

Return to Taxes