Employer did not deduct federal income tax from pay. I claimed zero deductions and did not claim "exempt".?

Employer did not deduct federal income tax from pay. I claimed zero deductions and did not claim "exempt".?

Postby ruford38 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 am

I got my W-2 from my employer and realized that no federal income tax has been taken from my pay. I did not claim "exempt". I did claim zero deductions. Isn't tax automatically taken out under these circumstances? Now I owe the IRS. What recourse do I have?
ruford38

Postby ea33 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:10 am

I got my W-2 from my employer and realized that no federal income tax has been taken from my pay. I did not claim "exempt". I did claim zero deductions. Isn't tax automatically taken out under these circumstances? Now I owe the IRS. What recourse do I have?
You have no recourse.

Please remember to look at your check stubs. Not trying to be mean, but if you never looked at your check stubs, then all of a sudden realize there was no federal tax taken out, it's not going to fly to make it look like someone else's fault.

"Recourse" suggests someone owes you something. There's nothing to indicate your employer did anything wrong.

You owe taxes because you earned money. The amount of tax you owe has zero relationship to how much was withheld.

Did you have more than one W2? That could explain why nothing was withheld.

Are you married? That could explain why nothing was withheld.

The bottom line is if there was a problem with employer withholding, you should have noticed it right off the bat, not months later when you say "Whoa, there's no withholding here. Who can I blame?"
ea33

Postby cynerik » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 am

Tax is only withheld if your income is high enough each pay period.

If you were single and paid every 2 weeks, your pay would have to have been more than $240 to have any tax withheld.

As far as recourse goes, you have none. Any money not withheld was in your paycheck.
cynerik

Postby caleb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 am

How much did you earn? If each check was low enough no taxes would be taken out.
caleb

Return to Taxes