Do employers check if you graduated from high school?

Postby deanne » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 pm

My senior yr I just stopped going (I was kicked out of my home and had to support myself) and now I'm applying for a bank job. I didn't want to write that I didn't graduate on my resume bc I was planning in doing my last 4 credits online to get my diploma so hopefully I would have my diploma a few months into my job. But if I put that I did graduate will they check that? Or what should I write?
deanne

Postby gar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm

They will check or ask to see your diploma. You should write that you plan on completing high school and should have your diploma in a few months.
gar

Postby glaedwine83 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah, they will ask to see your HS diploma.
Don't lie but tell them the truth.....that you're planning to complete your last 4 credits online....
At least you gave them some confidence in you.....
glaedwine83

Postby morris81 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Wow! Where I live college grads are applying for bank teller jobs. I am surprised that they would even consider hiring you with just a high school diploma. However, I doubt that most banks would check on that. Good luck!
morris81

Postby warner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:02 pm

If possible, start the process of completing your last four credits then apply so that you can provide proof of your intention. If you can't then still tell the truth. If I were your prospective employer and I found out you lied on your application, I would question your honesty more than your education.

Not all employers confirm information on an application but you don't know if this one will or won't.
warner

Return to Jobs