Exactly how poor do you have to be to get the Pell Grant?

Grant Money - Questions & Answers

Postby jarah » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:36 am

I am a single person subsisting on less than $22K, and I did not qualify. And half of that was disability! I would think that they would take that into consideration. So if a poor disabled person can't qualify, who can? Do I have to be living in a cardboard box and eating garbage to get financial aid to go to school?
jarah

Postby marly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 am

You don't necessarily have to be poor. It usually depends on your family size and yearly income, but there are other factors that can prevent you from qualifying. Here you can find exact info:
url_not_allowed.fafsa.ed.gov/help.htm

You can also visit your financial aid office at your school. They can usually tell you the exact reason why you weren't qualified.
marly

Postby chazaya » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 am

single people with no kids who can afford to support themselves usually don't qualify for the pell. Sorry, this is the way it is.... so yeah, i guess you would have to live in a cardboard box..(although doing so doesn't nec mean you'd get one!).

THere is no cut or set number, but don't count on ever getting a Pell grant or any other free money for school. You can get "Financial aid" to go to school though, because keep in mind that "financial aid" includes loans.
chazaya

Return to Grant Money