If I'm getting SSI disability checks and get an inheritance of cash will my SSI status change?

If I'm getting SSI disability checks and get an inheritance of cash will my SSI status change?

Postby cannan82 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm on Medicaid and SSI disability. My Mom will soon pass and is planning on leaving me a modest amount of money in her will. Would receiving an inheritance affect my ability to still get my current benefits?

If instead of a lump sum when she dies, what if she sets up a trust for me and I get $500.00 a month. Will that count and could it disqualify me from my current benefits?
cannan82

Postby maryann » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

It depends on the amount and how you receive it.
In many cases, it WOULD affect the amount received.
maryann

Postby beauvis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 pm

SSI is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income and it provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. If your income situation changes, you will be re-evaluated for SSI benefits. It is possible that $500/month income could cause the benefits to be lowered or eliminated. Only your social security office can tell you what would happen.

Inheritance is not reported to any agency. You do not have to report inheritance (under $3,500,000 per year) on an Income tax return. If you purchase an annuity or put the money in your checking or savings account (any account tied to your name and social security number) then SSI will find out about it and stop your payments. They may even charge you with fraud if they find out.
beauvis

Postby shaddoc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm

SSI and Social Security Disability (SSDI) are two different things. Which are you getting?
shaddoc

Postby pierson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Well, don't you think it should? Be fair here. You already can afford internet and computer on my tax dollars, when I had to spend nights in the library at school because I couldn't afford one. You're sick.
pierson

Postby aelfraed » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:43 pm

If she is on her deathbed, do you want to make her go through the process of setting up an account so you can collect SSI and still get the inheritance?

Any income you get will offset what SSI pays you, and they have access to your bank account and finances and may decide you no longer qualify for SSI. You know your asset limit is $2000 and your income limit for SSI eligibility is whatever your county decides. In California, if you get over $900 a month Social Security you cannot get SSI.

Are you so disabled you cannot work at all?
aelfraed

Postby zaine5 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:44 pm

If she is on her deathbed, do you want to make her go through the process of setting up an account so you can collect SSI and still get the inheritance?

Any income you get will offset what SSI pays you, and they have access to your bank account and finances and may decide you no longer qualify for SSI. You know your asset limit is $2000 and your income limit for SSI eligibility is whatever your county decides. In California, if you get over $900 a month Social Security you cannot get SSI.

Are you so disabled you cannot work at all?
Go to a elder-care lawyer and ask them to set up a pooled trust. Medicaid will not count the trust as a resource and the dividends paid out to you as income, therefore, allowing you to maintain your current SSI eligibility status. Without a trust, Medicaid will count the inheritance and the monthly amount as income to you. If you get SSI though the Social Security Administration, the limit that you would be drawing is $674.00 per month. If you are receiving SSI, the money could put you over the limit,however, it may not knock you out of apply for Medicaid though the local county Medicaid office.
Now this being said, every state is different, so their rules may be different. Ask the lawyer to be sure that a pooled trust is who you really need to have established. Social Security can tell you if you had a pooled trust how they would count the money you receive each month.
zaine5

Return to Money