I am having my tax refund deposited on the H&R block emerald card?

Postby atahalne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:20 pm

I am wondering if anyone had any good/bad reviews about it, the only thing I'm concerned about is that I received it in the office and it doesn't have my name on it, only H&R block client did anyone have any experiences with this having been a problem? Your feedback is much appreciated :)
atahalne

Postby eadwiella34 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Its fine you can pay things with it and shop with it like an atm card the only draw back is if you want cash you have to pay fees like you would with any ATM card.. So your paying to withdraw your cash
eadwiella34

Postby devry22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

k
devry22

Postby faxon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm

The card along with HR Block sucks.

BUT

Your card with your name on it will come after your card expires or you can write them and request a new one with your name on it. A good thing to do to save money is to only make withdraws on your cash back option. You save the ATM fees along with the HR Block fees. We always withdraw everything to avoid charges later. The card is good once a year for your taxes and that is about it. Get your money and throw it in your bank account.

HR block will charge you to use their customer service phone line. Be careful with that too.

Good Luck!
faxon

Postby odhert » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm

You can use it to buy online, at the grocery store as a debit card, etc. Businesses know these cards dont have names on them initially. You can get cash back at grocery stores, etc. You can have payroll direct deposit put on it year round. (It doesnt have to be 100% of your check either). You can have money added to it like most any other prepaid debit/mastercard. It does function year round.
odhert

Postby donnally » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:39 pm

We have had the Emerald Card for the past 2 yrs now. At first we only had the card labeled HR Block Client and we never had an issue with using it at any location.
My husband lost his wallet and we had to request another card be issue which cost us money through H R Block Bank to replace but when it came it had his name on it.
The only downside to the card are the fees associated with it. They just increased them so when you take money out of the ATM, you are paying the ATM fee plus HR Block Bank fee. Cash back at a store with purchase is free. I use ours for everything from paying bills to ordering online.
We also have direct deposit of our paycheck onto to it as well.
Downfall if you want to file your taxes next year and have them direct deposit on it you will have to go back to HR Block. Something with the routing number is off so you can't do ebill directly from your account or anything like that.
donnally

Return to Taxes