How can I find out who used my childs social security number for their taxes ?

Postby renato » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm

You can't.
renato

Postby jeriah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 pm

You can't. But you can file your own return, claiming the child yourself, and the IRS will investigate and give the deductions to the person who is legally entitled to them.

Since it seems like the other person has already e-filed, you will need to submit a paper return.
jeriah

Postby wayland88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

If you think that you are the one who can claim the dependent, then file your tax return and claim the dependent. It you are unable to efile, then send paper return. IRS with then contact both of your and figure out who must amend the tax return and pay the tax due with interest and penalty.

Child of divorced, separated or unmarried parents:
Only the custodial parent can claim the child. It does not count who is paying child support. The custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the longer period of time based on the nights spent. The other parent is the non-custodial parent. Non-custodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release Form 8332 or there is a court order meeting the IRS requirement.
wayland88

Postby adoniyah34 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Your child is the victim of identity theft, probably by an illegal alien, since they now commit over half of all child-identity theft. Actually, illegal aliens sell SSNs to other illegal aliens, and you can expect far more instances of this. One woman had 57 illegal aliens "working" using her SSN. IRS tried to get her to pay income taxes for ALL 57 of them! That's how she learned her identity/SSN had been stolen.

File reports of identity theft with police, IRS, SSN, FTC. Unlikely they will catch the perpetrator(s) however, especially if it is illegal aliens.

Protect your child's documents! Get child a passport urgently and always keep it up to date. Put passport, original birth certificate, original Social Security card, and everything which can be used to help prove your child is the "real one" in a bank safe deposit box! Get your child a bank account - a trustee account, "Parent Name in trust for Child Name." Deposit regularly. If your child has a well-maintained bank (savings) account, your child can probably convert it to a regular account at age 18. Otherwise, his credit is ruined before he can even open a bank account, get a job, etc.
adoniyah34

Postby kinnard61 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 pm

You can't unless that person tells you. But if you have the right to claim the child, go ahead and claim them. You'll have to mail in your return. The IRS will investigate, and determine who gets the claim. The other person will have to pay back anything they got for claiming them.
kinnard61

Return to Taxes