How can I get my 6 week old kitten to eat dry cat food?

Postby delmor47 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 pm

I got a kitten about a week ago. The woman who gave her away said the kitten was weaned, even though the kitten was only five weeks old. I have given the kitten formula, but I don't have enough money to keep buying the formula. So I was wondering what are some ways to get the kitten to eat dry food. I have water and watered down kitten Meow Mix. but the kitten doesn't touch any of it! When I stick the water in front of him he dunks his head in it, not knowing what it is. Any advice?
delmor47

Postby haydon60 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Shes only 6 weeks, and shes new to this world and she has been drinking milk prob ? Just wait a little and she will get use to it, obviously shell get hungry and thirstyy , so shell start eating dry food and drink :)
haydon60

Postby ollie6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 pm

First of all get rid of the Meow Mix - its the WORSE thing you can feed any cat/kitten. Second, 6 week old kittens are NOT weaned - they won't be till after 8 weeks old. Get your kitten on quality canned kitten food in chicken/lamb only for now (Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance.

When the kitten is 8-12 weeks old put out dry food in the above brands to nibble on, but the kitten needs canned food with KMR mixed in. You will have more social and behavior problems by not leaving the kitten with the mother till it was 10-12 weeks old minimum.

Get the kitten to the vet to give first shots, worming and plan on spay/neuter by 3-4 months old.
ollie6

Postby ahmik51 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 pm

If you don't have enough money to buy a $10 can of formula, how are you going to pay for the shots, the spay, the microchip, and other vet bills? Maybe you shouldn't have gotten a pet.

Also the woman shouldn't have given them away until they were 8wks. old, minimum.
At 8wks. they can be switched to wet food. Try giving him a can of wet cat food. When he reaches 9-10 weeks you can start mixing wet with dry food and by 12 weeks switch him to dry food.

Once the cat is adult, I suggest leaving dry food out 24/7 and giving them a few spoonfuls of wet food each morning and each evening. (or just once a day if your cat starts to gain weight too fast.)

And the cat knows what the water is...she just wants mom's milk. :)

Please take care of the little girl:)
ahmik51

Postby redwald4 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I've never had a kitten, but with my puppy we started it on dry food straight away by pooring the puppy milk formular over the dry mix so it was really soggy and gradually useing less milk each time it feeds. The kitten cannot live off just dry food though. you have to do some research as to how much is an acceptable about and how much cat food (the meat in a tin) it should have.
redwald4

Postby camille » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Mix dry kitten food with wet then add more and more dry to the wet as the kitten gets used to it more.
camille

Postby weyland64 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I think a good idea would be so buy some dry kitten food then pour some water into it until the food is soggy. You should then pour the water out and see if it will eat it.

I really hope this is helpful!
weyland64

Postby sean48 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Ugg, since you are going from the info some idiot (kitten provider) gave you, I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Dry food should NEVER be fed to cats, much less kittens. A few pieces of grain-free dry is okay as an occasional treat, but certainly not as a meal. And I wouldn't use Meow Mix or anything made by Purina as cat litter, much less food.

Kittens should be with their mom or their litter mates until they are AT LEAST 12 weeks old. If that's not possible, then do the best you can.

PLEASE give your new baby some grain-free canned food, with some KMR (kitten milk replacer mixed in with water-read the can) that you can get from any pet store. Mix the liquid KMR into the canned food until it forms a slurry.

Gradually add less and less KMR mix into the food until the kitten is eating only canned food at 10-12 weeks. Good luck!
sean48

Postby farleigh92 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm

if you get the powdered kitten milk re placer one can (10 oz can ) should last you about 4 to six weeks
for 1 kitten you can get the liquid formula in small cartons this will help the baby tremendously
above all do not use a human baby formula such as similac for a cat because it is not good for cats at all.
you can use goats milk though
check with your local vet for the proper foods for your kitten
they usually give this advice freely
farleigh92

Postby piers14 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Congrats on feeding him formula, that can't be easy (I know). You have Meow Mix kitten size correct? take a few out of the bag and add the formula to them so they are soaked. Then smash that into a "paste" and hand feed him a little at a time. Also, what about slowly diluting his formula he drinks, from the bottle. This way the little dry food mixture will attract him more and more, since the one in the bottle will be diluted, slowly, but surely. Try using a small Pipette (You know) with a flexible bulb at one end. This way you can put the water into his mouth until he gets to know what it's for. Good luck and again, I personally think you are doing very well.
piers14

Next

Return to Money