How can he reduce his child support in Texas?

Postby fuller18 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 am

I want to know how my fiance can lower his child support in Texas. Right now he pays $330 a month and they gave him this payment when he went to court to astablish child support 2 years ago when he turned 18 and was unemployeed at the time. Since then he has gotten behind due to a million different things it just seems like he has the worse of luck by alittle over $1000. He did get into some trouble almost a year ago trying to help an uncle during hard times and was given 5 years probabtion ($120.00 a month) and a 2nd degree felony. This all came into effect in December 2010. So he's been working for a staging company which isnt always stable or reliable for almost 4 months and is trying to find another job but ofcourse has been stuggling alot with that due to his felony. No one wants to hire him and is just happy that he got this job but it's mostly part time and pays him a crappy $10.00 an hour. We are expecting our 1st baby this month and we have to move out of our apt by the end of this month as we cannot renew our least because of his felony and since I've been on bed rest due to a high risk pregnancy ( started dialating very early for no reason) I have not worked in months. So this month we have a baby coming, we have to pay $1000 to move into our next apt and $515 monthly after that, probabtion which is $120.00 monthly and $330.00 for child support. We have no way of doing this. Probation, rent and baby expenses cannot be changed but I know that child support can be. It is one of our most expensive bills and really he just can't support two families at the same time when finding jobs for him at the moment is extremely difficult and he makes next to nothing. So any advice on what I can do and if there is anything that we can do? We cant afford a lawyer although his ex can and we know that she's going to have a fit when she has to go back to court for this.
fuller18

Postby raimundo59 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am

we are going thru a similar situation. they are making my childrens father pay $600 with little income. & they refuse to lower it even though i dont want child support & he supports my children. we go back in june & we are hoping that the judge will be gracious & lower hus child support. they have to consider his income & living expenses and if you guys can not afford a lawyer get a legal aid one. at least go in & ask them these questions & see what your options are.
raimundo59

Postby hamdi » Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 am

You need to find a new fiance. A little bad luck is that you got a ticket for running a red light or you were hit by another car in a grocery parking lot. Behavior of his type is not bad luck it is just plain bad behavior. The guy is a looser and if you stay with him you too will be a looser.

EDIT** The dog that yelps loudest is the most guilty. lol
hamdi

Postby hring » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 am

If he can't afford to support two families,then he shouldn't have started the second.
It isn't the fault of his first child that he got a felony and made another baby he can't support. Why should that child do with less because of his actions?
He can try to go back to court and have his support lowered,but since $330 a month is minimal support,he might find himself having to pay more instead of less. I doubt the judge will be sympathetic to his sob story.
hring

Postby ingel54 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 am

There are a number of things that go into the calculation for child support including income level and other outside factors. This law article explains how child support is calculated in Texas: url_not_allowed.slaterkennon.com/articles/understanding-how-child-support-is-calculated/ If there is a major change in income level, either parent is allowed to go back to the court to request an update on the original child support released after the original custody hearings.
ingel54

Postby murrough » Fri May 06, 2011 10:06 am

not much he can do, he's obligated to pay $330 a month till the child is 18. i pay $486, he's getting by cheap. he can always go back to court to see if the amount can be reduced but he'll need a lawyer and his chances are pretty slim. the court has little sympathy when it come to child support.
murrough

Return to Jobs