How did the 'Royal' family start?

Postby everardo18 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Actually, I want to know about ALL the Royal families. Kings, queens, emperors, etc. How did it all start? Who started it and why? What makes them ROYAL? What is so special about their blood? Are they not like any other human being? Does it have to do with money? Some rich dude started all this or what? I am confuzzled.
everardo18

Postby talehot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Royals are ordinary human being. What sets them apart is basically that their direct ancestors looted, killed and conquered a bit more than yours or mine. And obviously the executions of Mary, Queen of Scots, Charles I, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette showed their blood is precisely of the same colour as ours.

Tribal leaders, lead warriors, Barons, Lords, Kings and Emperors have all been ordinary people. What set the first ones apart (I mean the founders of dynasties or families) was their courage, leadership abilities or wit; in other words, their people chose someone to represent and/or protect them. Once the selected leader had an heir, the idea was that someone has to do all the ruling/leading, so they might as well go with a known quantity than unknown one.
Leaders of the past tried to give their positions legitimacy by claiming it originated from greater (divine) source. That's the reason so many of rulers of the ancient world, such as Ancient Greece, claimed they had the blood of Gods in their veins; Alexander of Macedonia, for example, was not only presumably descended from 2 of the greatest heroes of the ancient world, Heracles and Hector (and through them - from the Gods, as per legend), but it was also rumoured that Zeus was actually his father as well. European Monarchs continued the trend but with slight modifications; they no longer claimed to be descended from Gods but stated their powers were God given (in other words, they were chosen to Reign by a divine source).
One of the reasons Christianity spread so quickly in Europe and was so readily accepted by local Barons and Kings, was that it suited their agenda perfectly; most of the Christian rules teach respect for authority, knowing 'your place', not asking questions, etc.

As far as the expression "Blue Blood" goes, it originates from the Spanish phrase "Sangre Azul", which was used to describe Spanish Royal Family members in middle ages. The idiom's origin is probably the following; because the Royalty and nobility traditionally had very fair skin (since they didn't have to work outdoors all day), their veins appeared blue through their skin, leading to the belief they had 'blue blood'. Whereas the veins of the working class people were not that prominent, since most of them had very tanned skin (since they did work outdoors all the time to support 'the masters').
talehot

Postby meinke65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

It started when a Saxon warband-leader named Cerdic waded ashore on the south coast of Britain in the 6th century AD and said "I like this country. I'll conquer a chunk of it, and make myself king". His kingdom was called Wessex, and his descendants were so successful at conquering and ruling that by the 9th century they had made themselves High Kings over all England. The present Royal Family of the United Kingdom are descendants of Cerdic.

So no, it doesn't have anything to do with money: it has to do with conquering territory and holding it. If you're successful at that, the money follows.

And at the beginning there wasn't anything special about royal blood; you might be the son of a strong king but if you weren't competent yourself you might not even succeed him, and if you did you soon went under. Only after a family had hung on to the kingship successfully for centuries did being a member of that family start to be looked on as something special.
meinke65

Postby styrbiorn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:10 pm

"What makes them ROYAL? What is so special about their blood? Are they not like any other human being?"

A good place to start, in my opinion, is studying the concept "Divine Right of Kings." It seems to me that that is a conscious and sometimes unconscious theory that has been followed for hundreds of years. That might give you some food for thought with your questions. You can find an excellent explanation of this theory in Wikipedia.
styrbiorn

Postby olney » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Royals are ordinary human being. What sets them apart is basically that their direct ancestors looted, killed and conquered a bit more than yours or mine. And obviously the executions of Mary, Queen of Scots, Charles I, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette showed their blood is precisely of the same colour as ours.

Tribal leaders, lead warriors, Barons, Lords, Kings and Emperors have all been ordinary people. What set the first ones apart (I mean the founders of dynasties or families) was their courage, leadership abilities or wit; in other words, their people chose someone to represent and/or protect them. Once the selected leader had an heir, the idea was that someone has to do all the ruling/leading, so they might as well go with a known quantity than unknown one.
Leaders of the past tried to give their positions legitimacy by claiming it originated from greater (divine) source. That's the reason so many of rulers of the ancient world, such as Ancient Greece, claimed they had the blood of Gods in their veins; Alexander of Macedonia, for example, was not only presumably descended from 2 of the greatest heroes of the ancient world, Heracles and Hector (and through them - from the Gods, as per legend), but it was also rumoured that Zeus was actually his father as well. European Monarchs continued the trend but with slight modifications; they no longer claimed to be descended from Gods but stated their powers were God given (in other words, they were chosen to Reign by a divine source).
One of the reasons Christianity spread so quickly in Europe and was so readily accepted by local Barons and Kings, was that it suited their agenda perfectly; most of the Christian rules teach respect for authority, knowing 'your place', not asking questions, etc.

As far as the expression "Blue Blood" goes, it originates from the Spanish phrase "Sangre Azul", which was used to describe Spanish Royal Family members in middle ages. The idiom's origin is probably the following; because the Royalty and nobility traditionally had very fair skin (since they didn't have to work outdoors all day), their veins appeared blue through their skin, leading to the belief they had 'blue blood'. Whereas the veins of the working class people were not that prominent, since most of them had very tanned skin (since they did work outdoors all the time to support 'the masters').
olney

Postby kaley89 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:11 pm

"What makes them ROYAL? What is so special about their blood? Are they not like any other human being?"

A good place to start, in my opinion, is studying the concept "Divine Right of Kings." It seems to me that that is a conscious and sometimes unconscious theory that has been followed for hundreds of years. That might give you some food for thought with your questions. You can find an excellent explanation of this theory in Wikipedia.
Name: King Athelstan
Born: c.895
Parents: Edward the Elder and Ecgywn
Relation to Elizabeth II: 30th great-granduncle
House of: Wessex
Ascended to the throne: July 17, 924
Crowned: September 4, 925 at Kingston-upon-Thames, aged c.30
Married: Unmarried
Children: None
Died: October 27, 940 at Gloucester
Buried at: Malmesbury
Reigned for: 16 years, 3 months, and 10 days
Succeeded by: his half brother Edmund
kaley89

Postby ainmire » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Name: King Athelstan
Born: c.895
Parents: Edward the Elder and Ecgywn
Relation to Elizabeth II: 30th great-granduncle
House of: Wessex
Ascended to the throne: July 17, 924
Crowned: September 4, 925 at Kingston-upon-Thames, aged c.30
Married: Unmarried
Children: None
Died: October 27, 940 at Gloucester
Buried at: Malmesbury
Reigned for: 16 years, 3 months, and 10 days
Succeeded by: his half brother Edmund
ainmire

Postby hardin32 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Saxon Kings..Egbert reigned 802-839..Wessex Kings,,Cerdic reigned 519-534...Danish Kings...Sweyn Forkbeard reigned 1013-1014..Saxon Kings..Edward the Confessor..reigned 1042-1066..Norman Kings,,,William I(the conqueror) reinged 1066-1087.Plantagenet Kings.HenryII REIGNED 1154-1189.Tudor Kings Henry VII Reigned 1485-1509 Stuart Kings James I...Reigned 1603-1625 Hanoverian Kings George I Reigned 1714-1727..Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Kings Edward VII Reigned 1901-1910 House of Windsor Kings Gerge V Reigned 1910-1936 These are the FIRST Kings that ruled their particular HOUSES theres are lot more inbetween as you can appreciate,hope this has been helpful.
hardin32

Return to Money