How does illegal immigration hurt the U.S. economy?

Postby ovadiah10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 pm

I am doing a school report on illegal immigration and I need some info. How do illegal immigrants hurt the economy? What effect do they have on tax payers? How easy is it to become a U.S. citizen? Any help appreciated.
ovadiah10

Postby colman43 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Illegal immigration is a rough subject to tackle as both sides have good arguments. One side against it would be that illegal immigrants take jobs from American citizens. The counter argument could be that we wouldn't work those cruddy jobs anyways.

It does affect tax payers because we foot the bill if they get sick and go to the hospital and can't pay for themselves. It also hurts because of all the money we spend processing, holding and transporting them out of the country.
colman43

Postby wetherly100 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 pm

1) They use between $100-$200 BILLION more in social services than they pay in taxes. We have to cover that, which means we have less money to take care of ourselves.

2) They increase unemployment, 20 million criminal immigrants are taking a lot of jobs American citizens would normally be doing. Don't buy into the "only do jobs Americans won't" crap. It's a pathetic lie. They do jobs that Americans can't afford to do at the PAY RATE they do.

3) Force down wages. A work force is a commodity, just like everything else. The more there is of it, the less valuable it becomes.

4) Crime rate. Illegal immigrants are significantly more likely to engage in crime than a citizen or legal resident. 1 in 4 non-immigration related criminals in federal custody were in the US illegally. These crimes are a huge drain on our society, and cost us dearly.
wetherly100

Postby welford » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 pm

sorry to say but i think it helps the economy more than it hurts it. for example hurting it would be taking the jobs that are needed by the citizens of the states to live and pay taxes. but the solution for that is we have welfare and other programs to help the poor.

the way it helps would be in projected sales. census says 300 million people or whatever but we have hundreds of thousands of unregistered people here buying the prodcts that we are selling but not counting on that extra money. its money we didnt expect to have. food clothing,ect we are making alot more money having them here illegally. if they were registered prices on things would probly go higher cause they would know for a fact it is in higher demand.

i dont know if my statement makes any sense but thats my thought on the topic.thanks.
welford

Postby ranell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Illegal immigrants get the same (if not more) rights and services than US citizens do. For example, they get free schooling, free medical care, and money off the books. The government can't track this and can't collect the proper taxes off the money they make. Then, because they are using our services, our taxes get increased to pay for them. Not to mention taking our jobs and all the crime they commit which uses our money to jail them.
ranell

Postby emanuele » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I fear your teacher may not like the answer.
emanuele

Postby smythe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Money doesn't get recirculated they send a lot of what they earn back to Mexico. Also, if they get injured on the job and go to the hospital, taxpayers cover his/her bill
smythe

Return to Taxes