How does Medicaid and Food stamp effect income tax?

Postby ridpath85 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:59 am

I'm 18 years old and I just had a baby, so I'm currently not working but my boyfriend is and we are not married. The thing is me and the baby are under medicaid and i just applied for food stamp and got approved. Can my boyfriend receive income tax for me and the child, or is it illegal since we're both are not "together" and the baby is under medicaid? How will this effect the income tax? I want him to receive income tax for me and the baby, but i have a little help from the government which is medicaid and food stamps. Another thing is don't forget I'm unemployed but he isn't. Please give me more information on this, I need a lot to know on this rather than my parent, since they barely know much on it.
ridpath85

Postby farquarson77 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 am

it does not that i know of. but has never been a mentioned or visible charge that ive found.
farquarson77

Postby shamus54 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am

Does he support you? Is he paying child support? Do you live with him? Do your parents support you? Do you live with them?

If he is not paying more than 50% of your support to live and you do not live with him, he cannot file and get income tax back for you.

If you did not use your boyfriends income for getting food stamps, I am pretty sure he is not allowed to claim you as his dependent and get money back for you. It is not right for you to get free food without his income but, let him act like his income supports you.
shamus54

Postby baldwinn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 am

the only way he could claim you is if you lived together the ENTIRE calendar year and he provided more than 50% of your support
baldwinn

Postby reese » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 am

Your boyfriend can file his tax return as single and claim you and the baby as a dependents. That is perfectly legitimate if he lives with you the whole year even though you are not related, and he can claim the baby because he is providing all of the baby's and your financial support for an entire year. When you applied for Medicaid, did you tell them you live with your BF and what his income was? You have to report all household income.
reese

Return to Taxes