How do homes that don't pay TV taxes actually get caught?

Postby yiftach » Sun May 08, 2011 3:07 am

I know it's not required by law to pay if you don't even own a tv and possibly even if you're only watching vhs, dvd, blurays. Is there some sort of TV tax team that checks random houses who aren't paying the tax to see if their tv's are connected to antennas (ariels)? I'm an American in the USA who's just curious.
yiftach

Postby kynlas32 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 am

@Psych

THAT is untrue and total myth. IF you only watch DVD's or use a games console with your TV, then you DO NOT NEED a TV licence. You DO NOT need one for simply owing a TV!!!

IF you actually read the TV licensing website it tells you this quite clearly!

If you don't own a TV then you don't pay the TV Licence.

As to the asker: They have teams that come and check and use address databases and trackers that can tell if someone in the home or building is getting a TV signal.

However, most of the time they only go on what address isn't registered with them (for example, I have a TV licence in MY name for our address, however, when my partner bought a new TV, they sent threatening letters saying the address did not have a licence - their explanation? Because we live in a flat, and it might be my flat mate or neighbour!) Idiots LOL

They also have a problem with flats, because many people move in and out so quickly and move on!

Anyway, if you really want to know, go and Google the TV licensing and you can have a little look at the FAQ's :0)
kynlas32

Postby kentigem76 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:09 am

First they check the database and any address that does not have a TV license they send a van round to that address and use equipment that can detect whether the TV is being used. If it is then you will face a fine.

I'm not sure about the US but here in the UK even if you use your TV only to watch DVD's etc, and do not use it to watch programmes on the set you still have to have a TV license.
kentigem76

Postby franco54 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:11 am

In UK we have vans that contain equipment to setect whether TV's are being used without a licence, I thi nk there is also something about sattelites being involved too! Easier to pay up!
franco54

Postby stirling » Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 am

Stupidity. People leave them where they can be seen by anyone.
There are NO SUCH THING's as TV detector vans.
stirling

Postby pierrel » Sun May 08, 2011 3:14 am

Yes - they make routine checks.
pierrel

Postby danylets16 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:16 am

no it's just us Mug Brits who get saddled with that sort of charge
danylets16

Return to Taxes