How to know when my IRS tax debt is paid in full?

Postby grantham » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 am

I've had a tax debt for 5 years, and been having my wages garnished for 3 years to pay off what I owe. How do I know what the debt is now, and how do I know when the debt is paid in full?
grantham

Postby felton » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

Call the IRS
felton

Postby arthgallo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 am

Since you never entered into a formal resolution you are being penalized still plus interest, so there is no telling. You may be only paying the interest and penalty fees. Did you know what the debt was when you started? First you need to calculate the penalty and interest charges you're occurring url_not_allowed.ehow.com/how_4814590_calculate-taxes-penalties.html. Then add that to your original debt to see where you would be now if you never paid a dime. Next add the amount that has been taken out of your check for the last 3 years url_not_allowed.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1494.pdf and subtract that from your total debt. You should at least have a ball park figure of how much you still owe. On the other hand, you could get into a resolution and anything you pay would go to stagnate debt not a climbing one. Keep in mind you still have another 5 years until the statue of limitations runs of for your debt. Can you really survive another 5 years like this? You will never pay it off the way you are going, in fact you might end up paying more, a lot more.
arthgallo

Postby gosheven83 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 am

Contact the IRS with your social security number and ask them what your balance is.
gosheven83

Postby devonn34 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:32 am

Contact the IRS with your social security number and ask them what your balance is.
Shot gun
devonn34

Return to Debt Management