How long does it take to get a tax refund on a paper filed return?

Postby barrington » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 pm

It looks like I'm going to have to file a paper return this year because of changes to the adoption tax credit.

Assuming I mail this via Priority Mail, how long does it typically take to process a paper return? I've never done this before, as the adoption tax credit form has always been able to be e-filed in the past.

Thanks!

By the way, sorry to ask so many questions I could probably look up for myself, but I'm on dialup, and all of the .pdf's at IRS.gov are locking up my computer! LOL
barrington

Postby garton » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 pm

It normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for a paper return to be processed. This year may take longer and particularly in your case. The IRS may not start processing your return until Feb. 23rd. Congress put some unusual demands on the IRS with the late law changes and they are struggling.*
garton

Postby ricciardo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 pm

If you are having your refund paid via direct deposit, allow 3 to 5 weeks. If you are having it paid by check, allow 6 to 8 weeks.
ricciardo

Postby fraze » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm

paper filed generally is 6 - 8 weeks
I have found in the past when you file early manually most refunds are about 2 weeks, but the deluge I see here of people trying to file early to get money quickly, I would say that no longer is a possibility
and priority mail will not speed things up, in fact none of the various mail service speed things up, it takes what it takes to get the returns into the system
fraze

Postby baigh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 pm

typically 6-8 weeks. could be longer. Good luck.
baigh

Postby thronton5 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Mailing the paper return at this time will not speed this process up because for the tax form 8839 for 2010 tax year will NOT be available for a while and when does become available probably after the middle of February you may even be able to efile it at that time.
The IRS will not even start the processing of this type of income tax return until after the middle of February 2011.
So you will just need to have a lot of patience while waiting for your refund when you do file your correctly completed 1040 income tax return.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful
thronton5

Return to Taxes