How much do TV extras get paid?

Postby wikvaya » Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 am

Okay well, I'm 18, female and live in sydney Australia. I saw an advert in the newspaper that want actors and extras for TV and film such as 'underbelly 4, packed to the rafters, home and away (there were others, they're Australian shows)... Anyways, I want to persue acting, and I will be applying for it. But how much in average would I get paid?... I don't really mind because it would be really fun :) but it would be nice to get some extra money.
Thanks everyone!!! :D
wikvaya

Postby valentino » Sun May 15, 2011 9:42 am

I doubt there's much of a difference in Australia because of SAG Global Rule One, so:

Virtually nothing. I forget what the SAG background player contract is these days, but it's not more than $150 a day unless you wind up working overtime like crazy. If you are NOT in the Union, chances are they'll pay you something like $50 if it's a professional production, or if it's uber-low budget, they may just say "thank you for showing up" and give you lunch and dinner and you get the experience.

It totally depends on the gig.

Also, just to be sure you're aware, working as an extra is not acting. It's standing around all day and "creating atmosphere." No lines, virtually no movement, and nothing glamorous. Just sayin'.
valentino

Postby hesutu41 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:44 am

I don't know about pay, but if you are planning on studying acting - don't become an extra. It can kill an acting career!
Extras aren't actors - they are just human props.
No-one ever gets into acting from being an extra - you won't get noticed, you probably wouldn't get to see, let alone meet any of the real actors, and you can't add it to a resume.
hesutu41

Postby jianguo » Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

I don't know about pay, but if you are planning on studying acting - don't become an extra. It can kill an acting career!
Extras aren't actors - they are just human props.
No-one ever gets into acting from being an extra - you won't get noticed, you probably wouldn't get to see, let alone meet any of the real actors, and you can't add it to a resume.
it depends on ur role sometimes as little as 50 us$ to 5,000us$ but its highly unlikely you'll become an actor from just being an extra
no offense
jianguo

Return to Money