How much working tax credit am i entitled to?,,,, & will it effect my housing benefit claim?

How much working tax credit am i entitled to?,,,, & will it effect my housing benefit claim?

Postby hjortur37 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:14 am

Im 33years old, work 30 hours per week as a self employed taxi driver& i come home with Approx £150 per week gross, Single, no kids, living in a shared house.

Am i entitled to working tax credit?
approx how much would this be?
will it effect any housing benefit that i recieve?
Is there a cut off point to Working tax credit? ...........for example if you earn more than £12k gross then you dont get it

Please help. Im confused
hjortur37

Postby daith » Sat May 07, 2011 4:16 am

Im 33years old, work 30 hours per week as a self employed taxi driver& i come home with Approx £150 per week gross, Single, no kids, living in a shared house.

Am i entitled to working tax credit?
approx how much would this be?
will it effect any housing benefit that i recieve?
Is there a cut off point to Working tax credit? ...........for example if you earn more than £12k gross then you dont get it

Please help. Im confused
See url_not_allowed.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCredits/index.htm

Online questionnaire which may be helpful at www.entitledto.co.uk
daith

Postby stephenson47 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 am

get down to your local job centre and let them help you thats what they are there for
stephenson47

Postby ronnell73 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:20 am

I'm quite certain you're entitled to it as anybody working more than 30 hours on a low wage can claim Working Tax Credit

You are right that WTC's are means-tested and there is a cut-off point, but I'm not sure the wage you can be earning before you can no longer claim. Suffice to say your annual entitlement must be less than £26 before you can no longer claim. therefore I'm 99% sure the cap is way more than £12,000pa.

I might able to work out what you're entitled to if you can tell me three things. Have you been on the same job and wage since April 2010, are you over 50 and do you claim DLA for any disability which makes it difficult for you to find work (even though you're working now)? This won't affect your ability to claim when you're already working 30+ hours, but rather how much you can claim.

If you don't want to disclose any of that information online, then visit your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau. Don't bother with JobCentre Plus, they are often unhelpful, plus it's HMRC that is reponsible for Tax Credit payments, not the DWP. There is a test on the HMRC website as others have mentioned, but it's very easy to get an inaccurate answer.
ronnell73

Postby langleah100 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:22 am

I'm quite certain you're entitled to it as anybody working more than 30 hours on a low wage can claim Working Tax Credit

You are right that WTC's are means-tested and there is a cut-off point, but I'm not sure the wage you can be earning before you can no longer claim. Suffice to say your annual entitlement must be less than £26 before you can no longer claim. therefore I'm 99% sure the cap is way more than £12,000pa.

I might able to work out what you're entitled to if you can tell me three things. Have you been on the same job and wage since April 2010, are you over 50 and do you claim DLA for any disability which makes it difficult for you to find work (even though you're working now)? This won't affect your ability to claim when you're already working 30+ hours, but rather how much you can claim.

If you don't want to disclose any of that information online, then visit your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau. Don't bother with JobCentre Plus, they are often unhelpful, plus it's HMRC that is reponsible for Tax Credit payments, not the DWP. There is a test on the HMRC website as others have mentioned, but it's very easy to get an inaccurate answer.
you need to contact the HMRC not the jobcentre theyre nothing to do with tax credits, and yes any tax credits will effect ay amount of housingbenefit you get, the council will need to see your award notice and adjust ur benefit accordingly
langleah100

Return to Taxes