How much do you typically get back for claiming a child on your taxes?

Postby rion94 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

my son's father claimed my son who is 18 months old but he has never spent a dime on my son.... he said he would give me the money that he got back for him wich he said is $1000.... how do i know if he is screwing me over or not?
rion94

Postby marlan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

Do you and the father live together?

If yes, if his income is higher than yours, he wins and owes you nothing.

If no, he couldn't claim your son unless you gave him a signed 8332 form. That form would give him the right to claim the exemption and child tax credit. Depending on income, that may or may not make a difference on his taxes. If you didn't sign the form, he filed illegally.
marlan

Postby waller » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

There is no typical amount. Since your son's father is not the custodial parent (I'm assuming), then he would only qualify for your son's exemption if he did his taxes correctly. He would not qualify for EIC or HoH. He has no legal requirement to share any money with you, and if he is not the custodial parent, he can only claim your son if you signed permission to him. You will not know if he's screwing you over or not; however, you aren't required to let him claim your son either... if you had earned income, you should file your own return and claim him. If you didn't have earned income, then you don't earn anything from claiming your son... so, no harm in your son's father claiming him (even if he doesn't give you any money).
waller

Postby travion85 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

possibly nothing
to claim the child there is a personal exemption of $3650, same as the taxpayer
there is a child tax credit of $1000 for a child in the household under 17 and also not a refund
and since the child does not live with him he is not eligible
also depending on his earned income he has EIC and a little more for a child in the home
the rules are: the parent with whom the child spends the majority 'nites' with claims the child and from your statement this is apparently not the father
the only way he can claim the child is if you sign a #8332 waiver to allow him
travion85

Postby daylen10 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 am

Im not understanding why you allowed him to claim your son. But anyway you can get up to 3500 per child. If you do or not totally varies. I usually average about 1000 per each of my children.
daylen10

Return to Taxes