How to permanently move to England from United States?

Postby otis » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

I am 19 years old, and was wondering what I need to do to live there. I live in California-is the cost of living higher? I do not have any pets. I do have a job, and I may be able to work at it over there. Is there paperwork I should be aware of? Thank you, and any additional advice is helpful.
otis

Postby bryce » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 am

It is highly unlikely that you would meet the immigration criteria.

Check the details on the UK Border Agency website to see if you can qualify

url_not_allowed.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Your best option might be to get a job with a multinational that can transfer you abroad. Otherwise you might have to risk your life fighting for the British Army in order to earn yourself residency (assuming that they don't draw the line at Americans). Another option may be to set up your own business providing employment if you can find enough capital.

The cost of living varies a lot. London is one of the most expensive places in the world to live and functions almost as a different country. In the North living costs are much cheaper.

Taxes are higher in the U.K., but that is offset by things like universal health care.
bryce

Postby charleston74 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:01 am

I live in the UK. You won't just be able to walk off the plane, there will be paperwork and i'd imagine it'll be detailed online or at least contact details so you can make enquiries.

First thing you might want to learn? The country is not called England. England is only one country of the UK.

ETA:
OP, actually it seems you are ignorant of the situation. There is no sovereign nation state called England. The sovereign state is called the United Kingdom, and that's the country with a seat at the UN etc. Ok?

Secondly, England does not have its own immigration requirements. You enter the UK (as stated above). If you then choose to live in England that's up to you, and if you end up with citizenship you become a British citizen, not an English citizen.

And finally, as your own President displayed his ignorance by referring to the UK as England in a toast to our country during his recent state visit, it's clear that Americans ARE, in general, ignorant of the UK.
charleston74

Postby enam40 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 am

Um google it or wikipedia your only 19 and you have a job wow I am impressed I am obviously thinking you would have to sign some paperwork but why would you want to move to england are you of english descent do you like the culture the royal wedding why all of a sudden.I am not sure but good luck and be safe.
enam40

Postby donahue62 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks to Stoo. We non English British people are sick of being insulted, marginalised and forgotten! We can not just up sticks and settle in the US, on a whim, can we? Why do so many think we are just crying out for them to come and settle here?
donahue62

Postby wait » Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 am

Unless you have great skills or a PHD .. you wont get a visa
and the cost of living is certainly higher sales tax there is 20%

Here is a forum for Americans in the UK ..its worth a read
url_not_allowed.uk-yankee.com/index.php
wait

Return to Jobs