How Would A Government Shutdown Affect Financial Aid for College?

Grant Money - Questions & Answers

Postby kenan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

I will be attending college next year, and relying mainly on financial aid/federal grants, as my family doesn't make a lot of money, and I have absolutely no college fund. I submitted my FAFSA a few weeks ago and I think it was processed, but I haven't heard back from the university yet explaining my financial aid package.

I am really concerned about how a government shutdown would affect financial aid...or would it even affect it at all?

Thanks in advance
kenan

Postby faraji » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

well i am in a community college and I don't have any cuts. I am getting fafsa, you can check your mail where it tails u if the fafsa was proceeded. or 2 just go to financial aid office they can tell u too. As far as I am concern they are cutting some money. but if u have high GPA and if your parents don't make a lot of money. u can get your fafsa. good luck
faraji

Postby avia92 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm

It could. If the government is not operating come time to disperse your aid, it most likely will not be dispersed. The new budget that eventually passes could mean less aid for you. Financial aid is one of the few points of contention causing the shutdown. The republicans want to significantly reduce the amount of financial aid given out and the Democrats are against that.
avia92

Postby gavriel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 pm

It could. If the government is not operating come time to disperse your aid, it most likely will not be dispersed. The new budget that eventually passes could mean less aid for you. Financial aid is one of the few points of contention causing the shutdown. The republicans want to significantly reduce the amount of financial aid given out and the Democrats are against that.
careers.scienceontheweb.net - it has detailed info how to apply for financial aid and scholarships to get more cash.
gavriel

Postby brennon74 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Hopefully the shut down doesn't happen, but if it does then I would imagine there would be a delay in the processing of your aid. The Financial Aid Office at your school won't be able to determine how much pell (if any) you'll be eligible for if the government has not announced what the pell limits will be for the new year. The shutdown could also affect summer, should you choose to attend during the summer semester. Right now they have yet to decide what the pell limits will be so we don't know if the amounts will mirror the previous year or if they will actually be cut. So it is basically a wait and see type of thing, but yes it really could affect your federal aid. If you're looking at attending in the fall, then don't worry yet. Your school of choice still has plenty of time to get your information processed and get back to you!
brennon74

Postby wilbart51 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I was supposed to get my second spring disbursment yesterday I called the school and they told me I wont get my money till the goverment shutdown is resolved so right now I am in in debt and don't have a degree because of financial aid and government shutdown. I hope I get the money soon.
wilbart51

Postby boyce » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Still has 1 day left before shutdown, even if there's shutdown, you application probably just get delay not cancel. However next year budget is looking to be much worse, a lot program gonna get lots of cuts and fafsa is definite one of those progrma in those cuts. but from now just pray i guess.
boyce

Return to Grant Money