My husband won't let our divorce end because he wants all of my money?

Postby niccolo72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I have been trying to get a divorce since last August. My husband has a personal friend as his lawyer and they insist on playing games instead of negotiating in a reasonable way. I offered to pay off all his debts, give him 28,000 cash (his half of the equity in the house after bills) and exempt him from child support for our 16 yr. old. I would borrow from my family to do this; I'm a teacher and make a teacher's salary. He came back with spousal maintenance ($1500 a month from my monthly check of $3800), $47,000 cash, half of my retirement and joint physical custody of my 16 yr. old. He says he's unemployed, but I know he works for cash. He is now asking to see paperwork for the college accounts I have for both of my daughters (in their name and mine) and an account that has my name on it for my elderly aunt. Its a custodial account -- it's HER life savings, which I manage for her. I hold power of attorney for her, but would never take her money! Is there any end to this? We're going into financial mediation, but this seems like its neverending. Isn't there a certain degree of reasonable talk that needs to be maintained for a judge to take this seriously? And can he get my family's money? It's so frustrating. He's never attempted to save any money for his family for the 20 years we were married. The college accounts came solely from my paycheck. He spent over $1000 over 5 months on phone *** from our joint account during the marriage and was constantly on me to get my aunt's money. He claims I'm "brainwashing" my daughters to hate him, but his conduct during these proceedings and the marriage in general has made it so that I'd never have to say a word to them about him. Is my attorney this terrible, or are these hoops everyone has to jump through to get a deadbeat out of their lives?
niccolo72

Postby maureo87 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Tell YOUR lawyer there no more negotiating......set the court date, and the judge can settle it.
maureo87

Postby gilmar74 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

see this is the exact kind of things men go through when we divorce most of the time. we end up giving up something for the women to leave. i'm not a attorney so i say hire one and really find out what to do. because if you keep letting these games go on then your gonna mess up and he is going to point that out to the judge. better to do this quickly as possible
gilmar74

Postby callahan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:22 pm

You have to remember that the cash he made when you were still together was okay with you.

It didn't bother you then so it's a non-issue now.

Your Aunts money is hers. That's silly of him.

Put your daughters accounts in a joint account with both of your names on it.

Your daughters should not be involved in these types of discussions from either side.
callahan

Postby jung-su » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm

If you can prove that he work under the table then it will be much hard for him to receive alimony (spousal maintenance). If you make more than him then yeah, He can't get a dime from you.
You didn't say anything about spending $1,000 on ***. It's non issue
jung-su

Postby kelle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Your attorney is totally horrible. So horrible, in fact, that I have a hard time believing this. No husband would get 1/2 of a teacher's salary, a lump sum for nothing, and total custody of your kids. And no husband would get part of your aunt's account, just because you are handling the account.

I find it hard to believe that a judge would allow this... have you guys even been to court yet? Your husband's personal friend shouldn't be representing him anyway.

If this is true, you need a new attorney.
kelle

Postby kentigern62 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:27 pm

You have a lawyer? And your lawyer is allowing this to happen?

Fire your lawyer and hire someone who will push for an immediate trial and judgement. I can't believe your lawyer isn't doing anything to shut them down.
kentigern62

Postby winslow26 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:29 pm

this guy is a real pig. Quit talking to him. Do some research on the laws & ordinances, etc in your county & find out what your legal rights are. You can do alot without having to hire an attorney because they are quite expensive. I would hire a private detective to get DOCUMENTATION that he is working & tell NOBODY!!! & I mean tell NOBODY. He cannot touch that lady's money. Get all the info you can then you can then you very well may need an attorney, yet if you have done alot of the leg work, that should help. Let the attorney know what you want & expect & how much it is going to cost you. Like I said, quit talking to him & do not give him any paper work unless you have to. He & his attorney friend are quite the duo & make sure if you get an attorney, it is not one of the good ol boys. See if you can find a real sharp female attorney that will take care of his sorry self! good luck to you.
winslow26

Return to Money