Inheritance;how do i check ,what was left after a death of parent?

Postby oidhche » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 am

is there a way to find out what cash was left,after a parent died,and left no will,but sibling said nothing was left to me?and they started to ££££££spend spend spend?
oidhche

Postby corwan13 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 am

If the estate was over £5000 it would have had to be registered at your local probate registry office to obtain the necessary documentation for release of funds from Banks etc,try with them.With no will, letters of administration would have been issued and you would have been entitled to a proportion of the estate.Incidentally who paid the funeral bill and where did the money come from,that may be worth checking out.
A solicitor may have got involved but it is not a requirement,on the basis of the sum involved I would check very quickly with the registry office asap,the phrase "nothing was left to me"is worrying as there was no will written to exclude you,you are entitled to a share,sounds very dodgy,yep without doubt contact the probate office,probably by telephone first to obtain their requirements of you before divulging information you may have to make a personal visit in due course.
corwan13

Return to Money