Liberals: Why do you want government to control everything?

Postby dryden44 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Why are so many liberals for big government and what's the reasoning behind your idealogies? I am a libertarian, for small government, and am fiscally conservative. I want the government to have as little to do with my life as possible. Sure, you have to have some intervention: taxes, for example. Otherwise, people wouldn't get all these cool benefits and government programs. But I think most liberals take it too far. It's almost like they want the government to regulate every aspect of our personal lives. Am I far from the truth on their opinions, and if so can you correct me?
dryden44

Postby beavis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

You're confusing the word "liberal" with "right-wing".
beavis

Postby saunderson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Yes, we are dissapointed that it's not exactly like "1984" by George Orwell quite yet. Oh well, give it time. We'll get there.
saunderson

Postby jakob51 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Because government knows better than you what is good for you.
My mom worked in a job that produced too much carbon dioxide and government imposed tax on her job and mom was laid off and now she does not have to work and we collect unemployment benefits.
jakob51

Postby dracon41 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 pm

That's called a Nanny State!
dracon41

Postby uzziah99 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

A mystery... Wrote Paglia -- herself a life-long Democrat:

<<But somehow liberals have drifted into a strange servility toward big government, which they revere as a godlike foster father-mother who can dispense all bounty and magically heal all ills. The ethical collapse of the left was nowhere more evident than in the near total silence of liberal media and Web sites at the Obama administration's outrageous solicitation to private citizens to report unacceptable "casual conversations" to the White House. If Republicans had done this, there would have been an angry explosion by Democrats from coast to coast. I was stunned at the failure of liberals to see the blatant totalitarianism in this incident, which the president should have immediately denounced. His failure to do so implicates him in it.>>
uzziah99

Postby brann26 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 pm

its generally conservatives that push their moral values on others, drug use illegal gay marriage not allowed prostitution illegal etc
brann26

Postby finnegan13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Small government = little guy gets forced into wage slavery, medical care slavery, a life of living with environmental degradation, and disease so the rich 1% can live in absolute luxury and power
finnegan13

Postby coilin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:11 pm

If all, or even most people were sensible, kind, and somewhat intelligent, then I would agree with you. however, people are petty, venal, and small minded. Consider this, we have people who are not only ignorant, but take pride in it. My kids have a teacher who says he won't let his children learn a foreign language because "America is number one so why would they bother going to another country?". A teacher. And then you have people like Palin who consider those with educations elitist.

We have people who actually buy into the birther carp, in fact, more than half of people who identify themselves as republican are skeptical about the president's birthright.

Then consider how business operates. There are businesses that operate in a responsible manner, but most care more about profit than people. The idea that companies can self regulate responsibly is ridiculous.

And if you ask me, controlling someone's life entail, oh, maybe telling them they can't get married? Or that they aren't smart enough to determine if they should have an abortion or not? Or do an end run to try to prevent distribution of birth control? That's what the anti-planned parenthood stuff is. What could be more controlling than those things?

I really don't understand how you can say that conservatives don't want to control people. Do you think they want to give creationism equal time in schools because they want smarter kids, or because they want to control thought?
coilin

Postby neo41 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Whatever, republicans want really, really, really, big government, they just lie and say they don't. They want to tell people who they can marry (gay) tell all women that the government says you cant have the right to choose. So many other things republicans want to intrude into people lives about, so I don't want to hear about the Dems.
neo41

Return to Taxes