Lost my Federal Pell Grant?

Grant Money - Questions & Answers

Postby benjimen47 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 am

I'm currently attending a community college and the last 2 semesters I've received about $1,500 from a Federal Pell Grant. Yet the with the 2011 fall and 2012 spring semesters I seemed to have lost it. What could have caused this? I did change my major slightly from Computer Science to Computer science 2+2 with RIT. Is that why? My grades have been great, Scoring a 3.7 GPA overall.

I can make due without it, I would just like to know why.
benjimen47

Postby ardell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 am

the change in your major should not be the reason...it is more than likely an income change. Are you a dependent (under 24 years old) or independent? If you are a dependent, your parents may have made more money this year or had a child recently turn over 18 years old without being in college...which could cause you to lose the pell grant. If you are independent, you may have made more money yourself this year, or you have too much money in the bank and they consider you to be able to handle the costs yourself. You can contact FAFSA and ask what they think..
ardell

Postby placido42 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

universities.atwebpages.com - it provides some tips about applying to US federal and state grants for college students.
placido42

Return to Grant Money