Maximum amount you can withdraw on a greendot card?

Postby monte » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

I don't currently have a bank account, so when I filed my taxes this year, I chose to put my refund on the turbotax/greendot card instead of waiting 2 more weeks for a paper check.
Here's my concern: I all need the money from my refund immediately to purchase a vehicle.
Does anyone know if I can withdraw a large amount from a bank (about $4000)?
Or what the maximum amount you can withdraw daily from a green dot kiosk is?
monte

Postby tyronne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 am

The auto dealer can pull the balance and take it out with a direct debit if they are willing to pay the fee. You will have to go inside a bank to withdraw $4k from the card. ATM's usually only allow $500 max.
tyronne

Postby muraco » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 am

No you can't. I think the daily is $400. See attached. Horrible choice by the way. It will cost you a lot in fees for your impatience.
muraco

Postby dalyn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Some places will let you purchase money orders with a debit card (Walmart and I think Kroger, too...) Though, I'm not sure if there is a limit to the amount you can purchase at one time. (Some companies will only allow a money order in the amount of $500, but you can purchase more than one.) You could always do that and if need be, make a couple different trips to different locations... Check with the auto dealer first and make sure they will accept money orders.

** If it is a private seller, you might try check Western Union. They may accept a debit card to do a money transfer to someone.
dalyn

Postby ade » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 am

Most dealers take credit cards. You can use it there. If its a personal party you'll have to go to a bank.
ade

Return to Taxes