My parents are stressed and are struggling financially. Should I help them?

Postby cash » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 pm

We moved to this house about 6 years ago it's nice like it has a pool each of my brothers and I have our own room, and over it's two times bigger then the house we lived before, which was in a ghetto neighborhood. We were all happy for the decision. Then abou two years later My parents , mainly my dad, started struggling Financially by barely making the house payment and having not a whole lot of money to spend for ourselves. It really hurts cause I feel sorry for what my dad has to go through. He's been through many crazy things his life. He constantly comes home very upset, stressed and just completely exhausted. It's hurts to se him like that. He doesn't wantto move back to the ghetto cuzs he doesn't want us to go through what he has. My dad often comes home and just stays in the driveway in the car just there stressed and staring of into nothing. He also has high blood pressure and cholestrole,Which worries me cause I think that one day he can just have a heart attack, so I try convince to start getting into shape to relieve stress but he doesn't want to. I really want to help him with something.I want to get a job so I can pay bills or rent but that would mean I have to sacrifice a lot. I wrestle for my high school and box on the off season which mean everything to me. I would also have to sacrifice hanging with my friends. My friends and i hang out Alot. I'm in a pickle here. I don't know what todo!!!! I love doing sports! Buh I feel I need to help my dad. The only benefit from getting a job is I might have extra money to spend. What should I do??
I'm fifteen by the way and do well in school and do alot of extracurricular activities
cash

Postby burgiss11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Sounds like what my dad went through when we moved into our new house. It was hard, really hard. But in the end, everything got better. Now he has learned that you have to go through hard times to get to the better ones. About you getting a job, I doubt it. Maybe if you have the time left over but it still would be hard. If you think your up for it, I sure your father would be appreciated.
burgiss11

Postby gallagher » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Sounds like what my dad went through when we moved into our new house. It was hard, really hard. But in the end, everything got better. Now he has learned that you have to go through hard times to get to the better ones. About you getting a job, I doubt it. Maybe if you have the time left over but it still would be hard. If you think your up for it, I sure your father would be appreciated.
gallagher

Postby elmo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:47 pm

You enjoy the pool and having your own room, get a job. Give your father as much of the money you earn as possible. If you don't help you will find yourself and your family back in the house in the ghetto.
elmo

Postby gildas » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Your parents have spent the last 15+ years working their butts off to support their children, i think there is NOTHING wrong with you getting a part-time job and helping out.
gildas

Postby matro68 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Of course, my mom is 33 & she still helps her mom. money wise. HELP. & you will be blessed in return
matro68

Postby slevin10 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 pm

you should most definitely help out your family i understand wrestling and boxing is important to you but would you rather wrestle/box or have food on the table and a pace to stay and if the friends you hang out with all the time are true friends they will understand yes it will be hard on you at first because your not use to it but trust me it will all be worth it in the end.
slevin10

Postby isaakios46 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Firstly, the very thought that you would help is extremely sweet of you. I would say that it is always good to help others. Generally speaking, I try harder to help others when they fall on bad luck. But if they are suffering because of poor decisions or mistakes they have made, I often say tough luck. I have found that when people are in trouble, they usually brought it upon themselves. Working past your mistakes is part of life and a learning experience.
isaakios46

Postby edwaldo76 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 pm

You're probably not going to be able to make enough money to make a real difference, but you can help the family by saving money.

The most important thing you can do is support your father. Tell him you appreciate everything he is doing for the family. If you keep asking him what you can do to help, he's going to hear it as "since you've failed, your kid needs to step in to help". Similarly, nagging him about exercising isn't going to have a positive effect.

The fact that you want to help is admirable. Be careful of the difference between "Dad, you do so much for the family, and we want to do our part" and "Dad, I'm so upset about what is going on that you should feel even more guilty about how bad things are."
edwaldo76

Return to Jobs