Is El Paso Texas a safe place to live?

Postby milo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 am

My family is relocating to El Paso for my husbands job. I would love some input on what people think of the area! Is is safe? Good place to raise kids? What are good family communities to live in...etc?
milo

Postby aghy80 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 am

My family is relocating to El Paso for my husbands job. I would love some input on what people think of the area! Is is safe? Good place to raise kids? What are good family communities to live in...etc?
El Paso was named the safest city in the U.S. I have lived here all my life and it is a great place to live, just as long as you don't go to Juarez. But El Paso is safe and it is a great place to live
aghy80

Postby dulani62 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 am

El Paso is arguable the second safest city in US of its size.

Ironically, Juarez, the neighboring Mexican city, is called "the most violent place in the world which is not a war zone".

I was in El Paso a few days ago. People were telling me that police arrives in 2-5 minutes after a call. And there is the largest military base nearby so it somehow maybe makes the city safer.
People I've met there, mostly of Mexican origin, have families in Juarez, used to go there a few years ago regularly, but most of them haven't been in Juarez for 2 and more years.

I was there on Easter days, maybe that was the reason why the downtown was completely dead and empty like in Buffalo, NY or Miami, FL.
dulani62

Postby darrell » Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 am

El Paso is now the safest city in the US and i mean number 1. the reason why El Paso has such a bad reputation is because its right next to the 2nd most dangerous city in the WORLD, juarez, mexico. But you shouldn't worry. I meet a lot of people in the military because of my job and they all tell me that they were afraid of living in El Paso at first but now they love it. Im guessing your army since you said relocating, and if you are i recommend Fort Bliss. They have some nice homes. And if you dont want to live inbase i'd go for a house in the "tierras". the "tierras" is a place in east el paso they have real nice affordable homes, this area is full of Border Patrol, Police, Military and Government employees. And lastly Horizon City is in far east el paso and it is really calm, full of families and again full of government employees. This is were I live, and I could not feel any safer. The only down side is that a lot of people only speak spanish but youll do fine :) Good Luck in your new life :)
darrell

Postby treadway48 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 am

i live about 2 hours from el paso and have been there many times. i think it is scary as heck! they drive like lunatics over there and since there have been so many murders/kidnappings in juarez, mx (which is just right there, you can see it from the freeway) i do not go there anymore. a friend of mine was just there not too long ago and was downtown and there was a driveby and an abduction in broad daylight. sorry to scare you but maybe las cruces,nm which is about 45 minutes from el paso might be more safer for your family.
treadway48

Postby menzies » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

Very dangerous! Mexican Drug cartells & Mob.The closer to Juraz the more the danger.Suggest contacting Chamber of Commerce for best areas.
menzies

Postby beanon7 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 am

Yes. My cousins have been living there for almost 20 years and they are all safe. Thank God!
beanon7

Return to Jobs