If I send someone money via Western Union, how long will they have to pick it up?

If I send someone money via Western Union, how long will they have to pick it up?

Postby hawly26 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

I need to send money to a cousin of mine. Western Union is the only thing in his area and he doesn't have a bank to wire it to or something....

He won't be able to get it (I mean pick it up, in his city) for 4 to 6 days. He isn't sure exactly or I would just wait and give it to him then...

How long will Western Union hold this money?
hawly26

Postby freddy50 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 am

Western Union will hold the money for 364 days, according to their website.

Just be careful, Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.
freddy50

Return to Money