Tax question if someone already claimed me as a dependent?

Postby ashly47 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm

I am employed to watch my disabled sister by Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) which is a branch from DSHS, so I am employed by the state. My mom and dad are now separated. My mom moved away and I now live with my dad. I pay my dad rent/food, I pay for my internet, I pay for my cellphone, I pay my car insurance, and I am gone most of the day watching my sister at my mom's apartment. I drive there every day at 7 AM before my mom works and then come home at about 6 PM. My dad told me today he claimed me as a dependent on his taxes because it increased his refund by a significant amount. He said he would take the money he got extra from me and put it towards parts for my car. I found this very annoying because he didn't ask me or anything, but I do need the parts and he is a mechanic. What I need to know is should I still file taxes if he did this? Will I be in trouble if I don't because I was employed by the state? He told me just not to file since he claimed me as a dependent which I can do, but I don't want the IRS coming after me... What should I do?
ashly47

Postby macgowan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 pm

If you made over $5700 for the year, you are required to file since you're being claimed as a dependent. If you don't, the IRS WILL come after you unless you had enough withheld that you'd get a refund if you filed - then they won't bother, they'll just keep your refund.

Without info like how old you are, if you were a full time student in 2010 and if so how long, and how much you made, it's a little hard to tell whether your dad can legally claim you. If you're over 18, were not a full time student in 2010, and made over $3650, it's easy - he can't claim you.

If he can't legally claim you, you can file your own return and claim yourself. If he can claim you and you made over $5700 for the year, file your own return and do NOT claim yourself.
macgowan

Postby foma2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Regardless of whether or not he claimed you as a dependent and can justify having done so, or cannot justify having done so, you must still file your own tax return.

The question isn't so much, should you file, it's merely a question do you want to forgo claiming yourself as an exemption and continue to allow your father to claim you as a dependent. If you file your return and claim your own personal exemption, you may need to speak with an IRS Representative eventually and justify claiming your own personal exemption and disputing your father's right to do so.

If you dispute your father's right to claim you as a dependent, your relationship with him may deteriorate. Is it worth it? I don't know, only you can answer this question.
foma2

Postby norvin55 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

for your dad to claim you, you would have to live in his household the entire year, not earn $3650, he provides more than 50% of your support and you cannot be claimed on the tax return of anyone else
you got a w-2 from the state and I would imagine it is significantly more than $3650, that negates his claim
also you are paying him for rent,food and the internet, a substantial part of the 50% support
he is wrong
file your return manually and when it is rejected due to the duplication of SSn(yours) protest it prove your status
norvin55

Return to Taxes