Tax refund delayed because it been pulled for review what does this mean?

Postby chumin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

I filed my taxes on 2/18 electronically and told I was set to receive my refund on 3/4 but I never received it. I called the irs and spoke to a rep who told me my tax return was pulled for further review and that it could take 6 to 8 weeks to receive my refund. Then again I spoke to a different rep who told me that my return was being reviewed but that they had not concluded if I would get my refund or not. I owe about 500 dollars from last year could this be what caused my return to be pulled for review? Will it really take 8 weeks?
chumin

Postby ricadene » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm

The back taxes shouldn't have a lot to do with it because they would simply deduct those from the refund you currently have coming.

'Further review' simply means that. They're looking into it a little closer. That usually happens because some of your deductions may look a little suspicious or maybe you're claiming too many expenses in relationship to your income. It certainly may take them that long, but it will probably be ok. I would say "Don't worry about it" but you can't do that, can you, lol?
ricadene

Return to Taxes