If my tax refund is under review for EIC will I still receive a portion of my refund?

If my tax refund is under review for EIC will I still receive a portion of my refund?

Postby yago » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:20 am

I received a notice that the IRS needs additional information and I would be receiving a letter I should return within 30 days. Will I still receive a portion of my refund minus the EIC on the scheduled deposit date?
yago

Postby pepillo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 am

No. Your entire refund will be delayed until it is sorted out.
pepillo

Postby cadmon63 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:25 am

unfortunately they will hold it until it gets worked out.
cadmon63

Postby cain » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

The IRS will typically refund the uncontested portion of your refund, i.e. the portion that's made up of excess tax withholding, if it can easily be determined, while the EIC claim is pending. If there's a question of the status of a qualifying child for EIC purposes, the excess withholding may be little if anything depending upon how you filed your W-4.
cain

Postby vaddon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:37 am

When the IRS contests the EIC, it is often contesting the right to claim the dependent, HOH, the child tax credit and EIC. You might not have much of a refund if they remove the dependent.
vaddon

Return to Taxes