If the non-custodial parent owe back child support how can i get my money being that shes filing taxes?

If the non-custodial parent owe back child support how can i get my money being that shes filing taxes?

Postby raed42 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 am

IF she has a refund, then it would be taken if your child support agency has filed the proper paperwork. But not everyone who files gets a refund.
raed42

Postby banjamino » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:21 am

Are you owed money?
The child support agency would have to file the proper paperwork to allow interception of any refund that might be due.
banjamino

Postby macgregor39 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 am

If the child support enforcement agency that is managing the case has submitted the arrears to FMS for offset of the taxpayer's federal tax refunds, the offset will happen automatically.

Keep in mind that if the taxpayer isn't due a refund, there won't be an offset. Just because they are filing a tax return does not mean that there will be a refund due.
macgregor39

Postby hadwyn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:24 am

IF the non custodial is due a refund, and IF they are far enough back that the state has put in to have the refund offset the debt, you'll get it. If neither of those things is true, there is no way for you to get it.
hadwyn

Return to Taxes