Things a first year Electrician Apprentice should know?

Postby lance » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:29 pm

A few weeks ago, I applied to the apprenticeship program with a local union, IEC, in Texas. They gave me a list of contractors to call, which Ive been calling for the past few weeks. I finally landed a job starting out as a helper with a large contractor. I have some construction experience but no electrical experience. My question was what are some things I should always keep in mind as a first year? If anyone has any other tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
lance

Postby amal55 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm

it really depends on who you work for. as a 1st year apprentice, only knowledge u need is basic hand tools. Some companies will have u do grunt work like carrying ladders and passing tools to the journeyman and cleaning and stuff like that for a while. others will get you into the electrical work immediately and let you learn it. but as an entry level, you just need common sense and know how to use a tool. making an effort to learn about the trade is also a good thing and it will show them that you are serious and often they will bring you along a bit quicker.
amal55

Return to Jobs