Trouble with my W2 tax form Box 12A?

Postby raoul32 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 am

On my W2 Tax form there is an amount of $650 in box 12A which means Uncollected Social Security or RRTA tax on tips (with no other code listed on my form). I think it's a mistake and is supposed to be for my retirement simple plan. What else could box 12A mean? I don't get tips at my job...so frustrating! I'm being taxed dollar for dollar on my return, can anyone help me? Thanks
raoul32

Postby moulton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 am

On my W2 Tax form there is an amount of $650 in box 12A which means Uncollected Social Security or RRTA tax on tips (with no other code listed on my form). I think it's a mistake and is supposed to be for my retirement simple plan. What else could box 12A mean? I don't get tips at my job...so frustrating! I'm being taxed dollar for dollar on my return, can anyone help me? Thanks
Look again. The 12 boxes are labeled a,b,c,d on the form, but ALSO have a code. Look for the "D"
moulton

Postby cailin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 am

I'm not looking at a W2 right now, but I believe one of the boxes for 12 is for nontaxable health insurance benefits. If you pay for health insurance, or for an HSA/FSA, these benefits are non-taxable and can legally be deducted from your wages (if your payroll department hasn't already done it for you), and will lessen your tax burden. If you include this amount in your line 7 wages, you can deduct by itemizing on a SCH. A. That's only if they are for health benefits though.

USS or uncollected social security tax doesn't necessarily mean you work for tips. It sometimes mean that you were not taxed for something in a previous year and they are fixing it on your current year return; this amount is usually a write in on line 60 of form 1040. If I could find a W/2 I would be able to help you better.

If you believe that the amount is an error, you should contact you payroll dept. and have them explain what it is or correct it.
cailin

Return to Taxes