If my wages are being garnished, should i expect my tax return to be garnished too?

If my wages are being garnished, should i expect my tax return to be garnished too?

Postby cwrig58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

Currently my wages are being garnished to to an eviction (25 %) should i expect my tax return to be garnished too for the remaining amount that i owe? or the regular percentage?

im scared because one of my friends had his WHOLE tax return garnished because he didn't pay child support lol
cwrig58

Postby patton24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 am

Nope - they cannot touch your tax refund.
Only the government can take government money away.
Your tax refund is protected.

BUT... don't let that refund sit in your bank too long.
After a few days it becomes "free"money.
I've tried to look up more info on this - but never have been able to find out more specifics...
patton24

Postby prestin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 am

No--your wages and tax return are separate--unless you owe the IRS big time.
child support is different as well---if YOU owe child support--yes, your
refund will be taken to pay it down.
So, only if you owe the IRS back taxes then they will keep it.
they will not keep if you owe a creditor.
prestin

Postby lex49 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 am

Tax returns are generally NOT garnishable/seizable. Child support is one of the exceptions.
lex49

Postby cristiano » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 am

Have you been contacted about this matter.
If this is the IRS that has garnished your wages .
A administrative wage garnishment?
Administrative wage garnishment is a process by which federal agencies require a private sector employer to withhold up to 15% of an employee. s disposable pay to satisfy a delinquent debt owed to the federal government. A court order is not required. Before garnishing an employee's wages, federal agencies are required to send the employee a warning notice and to give the employee an opportunity to contest the debt and/or garnishment. All potential garnishees who wish to contest the action have the right to inspect and copy debt records, to enter into a repayment agreement, and to have a hearing.

url_not_allowed.fms.treas.gov/news/handbook/index.html#about

If your refund amount goes into your account at any financial institution then the amount would be fair game for any garnishment because then it would NOT be your income tax refund amount but would be mingled with your other funds.
The United States Treasury Department Offset Refund Program through the Financial Management Service (FMS) a bureau of the United States Department of the Treasury to manage the collection of delinquent debt owed to the government.

Toll free phone number (800) 304-3107
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful
cristiano

Postby joy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

No, a tax refund is taken for child support but not for a private debt like rent/eviction.
joy

Postby makya » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 am

your tax return is not garnished, if there is an outstanding tax due the income tax refund is withheld to pay it
and your eviction would have no credence on your federal tax return
makya

Return to Taxes