Were is the cheapest place to get dog distemper shot and rabies shots for dogs in michigan?

Were is the cheapest place to get dog distemper shot and rabies shots for dogs in michigan?

Postby halbart4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm

i looked at Capital Area Humane Society but i dont think you can do just the shots there you have to get him neutered too but i dont have that kind of money. does any one have any suggestions?
halbart4

Postby mongwau » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 pm

If you cannot afford the price of a neuter, you should return the dog to the breeder, as stated in their contract.
mongwau

Postby alds30 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Instead of looking at the Humane Society's web site - give them a call and ask them the question directly. They will know of any vaccination clinics going on in your area. They will also know of any spay/neuter clinics going on. You should be able to have your dog neutered for $50.00 or less at one of these clinics.

You also will need to find a vet to test your dog for heartworms and put your dog on preventive.
The mosquitoes in Michigan carry heartworms.

It costs money to keep a dog in good health with proper vet care - but there are clinics and special events in most communities to help those who are financially strapped.
alds30

Postby talford61 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Check with the city alot of times they will know were you can go that is cheapest, we have a shelter that directed to a cheap vet.
talford61

Postby che » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:56 pm

IDK about distemper shots. As for rabies, I would call around to local vets and explain the situation, some of them should allow you to "bring the dog through the back door" avoiding the exam fee etc.and only charge you for the rabies vaccine and syringe. Should be around $20.
Also, a word of advice: IF YOU DID NOT PURCHASE THIS DOG don't let people talk crap to you for not having money to pay for them to have expensive surgeries. I had three dogs, all of them came to me sick and with one option left- the pound- and I loved and took care of all of them all. One day one of them got into trash my neighbor left beside our yard and swallowed plastic that lodged in his esophagus and upper intestines. I did not have 2,500$ for the surgery, x-rays, and barium tx to make him better so I came to these Ask web sites to see if anyone knew of anything I could do for less money or at home. You would have thought I had slapped their mothers! I got all sorts of comments like I shouldn't have a dog unless i could afford him, Why did I buy the dog to begin with, etc etc. I ended up putting Hammy to sleep, that was the best thing for him and us. But I gave him two years of a happy fun life where he was loved, treated well, and had other canine friends. So would it have been better to just let him die as a three- four week old puppy? No, I think not.
So for everyone out there::: Not all of us BUY our dogs! Some of us know that there are more than enough dogs our there that need a good home without going to breeders and pet shops.
che

Postby chason » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Any board of health will know where you can get a rabies shot- but ask at Petco if they have a Luv My Pet clinic. The vets travel, set up right in the store, and do all the shots for a small fee. It's very reasonable - and remember, you also MUST get a heartworm test and HW preventative for your dog!

HOWEVER - if you cannot afford to neuter a dog, you need to find him a home that will - or a rescue.
Keeping a dog unneutered soon leads to problems, and will eventually cost him his life. Get him neutered or get him a better home.
chason

Postby deston37 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 am

url_not_allowed....../question/index;_ylt=AlLbyju7QaBQmzuqHjDwbkLsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110123171124AAmfmWr

I understand you bought the puppy. If you don't have much money to work with right now, apply for carecredit.com, get approved, and schedule appointments for both shots and a neuter. Takes five minutes to get approved. They'll have a list of vets in your area that take carecredit. You have six months to pay it off.
deston37

Return to Money