What are the best cities to live in that are in commuting distance of New York City?

What are the best cities to live in that are in commuting distance of New York City?

Postby strong16 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 am

I'm considering a job there when I graduate, but I know how high the cost of apartments in the city are. So, I'm interested in hearing what the best cities within commuting distance of the city are, in no more than an hour by train or car. I'm looking for good deals on housing, a good economy, low crime rates, etc. Like I know Hoboken and Stamford are good as are a lot of places in Conneticutt. Are there any other good cities I'm missing?
strong16

Postby harimann » Mon May 16, 2011 3:18 am

I'm considering a job there when I graduate, but I know how high the cost of apartments in the city are. So, I'm interested in hearing what the best cities within commuting distance of the city are, in no more than an hour by train or car. I'm looking for good deals on housing, a good economy, low crime rates, etc. Like I know Hoboken and Stamford are good as are a lot of places in Conneticutt. Are there any other good cities I'm missing?
Hoboken is super close but expensive and loud. A lot of bars. I dunno what you have this hour assigned for but I've lived in the Rutherford area for 5 years and although it's 30 mins by NJTrain to the city I always figure 90 mins from door to door. Bus is unpredictable.

Anywhere in Northern NJ is good. Jersey city, Hoboken, Rutherford, East Rutherford, Union City, Paterson, there are so many, google map and check New Jersey Transit website for public trans options. My average monthly public commute cost for subway and train to NY is about $260.

Good Luck!
harimann

Postby beverleigh77 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:20 am

Long Island -- Glen Cove, Sands Point, Manhasset, Great Neck, Westbury, Hyde Park, Lake Success

Connecticut -- Groton, Greenwich, Westport, Norwalk, Stamford, Fairfield

Westchester County - Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Larchmont, New Rochelle

New Jersey -- Fort Lee, Englewood Cliffs
beverleigh77

Postby page39 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:22 am

It depends on what type of environment you are looking to live in: An apartment in an urban environment, with a lot of things in walking distance, or an apartment in a quieter suburban environment where you have to drive a lot.

A lot of the towns in Long Island fall into the second category (except for a few, such as Freeport and Valley Stream, which are near the LIRR into Manhattan). Westchester has a couple of urban areas such as White Plains, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Port Chester, New Rochelle, and Yonkers (though Yonkers has more bad areas than the other towns).

For a suburban area with decent prices on homes, you can look further east in Long Island, in areas such as Hicksville, Levitttown, Amityville, and Babylon (Amityville and Babylon have areas that resemble and urban "downtown")

You can also try looking into some areas of northern New Jersey, such as North Bergen, Union City, Weehawken, and Fort Lee. There are also a bunch of suburban areas near train lines that go into NYC.

You can also try looking in the 4 "outer boroughs" of NYC: If you go a few miles out into Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, or Staten Island, you'll probably be able to find a safe area with a reasonable rent.

I hope this information was very helpful.
page39

Return to Jobs