What happens if my husband leaves and i cant pay the bills?

Postby arek1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:12 am

My husband left just over a week ago and I have found out he has been seeing another woman. I don't work as I have been looking after our 2 small children so he pays all the bills. He won't sit down and talk to me about money etc so I don't know what will happen with my next lot of bills which are due in a few weeks, we have a mortgage etc to pay. he seems to want to start his new life with this other woman and not face up to the responsibilities to his family, what can I do about this? I have been to see someone about benefits so they should start coming through soon but are only enough to cover half the bills. The mortgage is in joint names as are a couple of loans and there are some just in his name too. I am worried that I will end up defaulting on the Direct debits next month as I don't even know if his wages will still be being paid into the account cos he won't talk about it. i don't want to lose the house as it is mine and the childrens home but I really don't know what to do. I know I can go through legal channels but if he is totally uncooperative I don't know how long it will take so what do I do in the meantime for money? Any responses are welcome as I am at my wits end now and can't sleep. My kids are only 3 and 1 and I need to make sure they are provided for.
arek1

Postby farnlea » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 am

temp spousal and child support orders can be done in court, talk to a lawyer FAST!
farnlea

Postby daith41 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:16 am

You need to seek legal advise.

I woul never get married and be financially dependent on my husband in case things like this happen.
daith41

Postby chayim » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 am

He's still responsible for all the payments that are in his name. He may just decide not to pay, though, so you should arrange a court date asap to get a child support/spousal support order.
chayim

Postby witt53 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 am

You need legal advice...there are things that can be done to help you until you can get on your feet and support yourself..

Although I support SAHMs, your situation is a good example of why a person should always have marketable job skills to fall back on (male or female), because you never know when you're going to need them...

My mother was an SAHM for 20-something years until my father left her with 2 teenage children...she had no way to support herself and her kids and it was very difficult for a while...she did get some spousal support, child support for one of the kids (the other was just turning 18 but not quite out of high school), and she put herself through Vocational Technical School to get her LPN to become a nurse so she could support herself (and her kids until they left home)...she didn't want to be a nurse, but that was the career field she felt would best support her and high chance of being able to get work and stay employed...she's 74 now (this happened back in her 40s) and is just now fully retiring after having worked part time the past few years as a CNA for some extra money...
witt53

Postby maynor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:22 am

The house will have to be sold and you'll get half the profits from that. Besides that, you need to get working and join the ranks of single mothers out there. When you go for the divorce, make sure he pays his fair share of the support. He is still responsible for anything that is under his name, regardless of him wanting this new life or whatever. I so agree with everyone else who advised you to get to a lawyer fast.
maynor

Postby caly54 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:24 am

Yes it will take time.. no doubt about it.. u need to go to child support enforcement and apply for c/s but that can take awhile to start recieving so u need not to count on that right now. You need to find someone to help u out with the kids, family member, close friend etc just until u can get on your feet. My best suggestion is for you to get a waitressing job. The reason i say this is because its "fast money" especially if u can find a place where u only have to train for a few days to a week.. before you can actually get on the floor and earn tips.. and u start saving as much of your tips as possible to pay the other half of the bills.. You may have to get one month behind on the morgage which sux no doubt but they wont kick u out for only one month behind and if you can stay on top of it from then on, then by the time you get everything settled with ur x husband then u can get caught up on it fairly fast. Get rid of all non-necessities in the house. to cut down on your bills.. your kids are young so u can get them on wic to help with the grocery bills. You only need to stay a float until this gets settled. Any bills that are non-necessity that are in his name only do not worry about. Only take care of necessities. You can do this.. i know its stressful and your scared, but you can do this u just have to stop depending on him and take care of your kids yourself.. It will be ok once u get into a routine and your able to get things accomplished.
caly54

Postby lucien » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:25 am

you need to go to local family court and tell them your situation, He is still responsible for paying the bills and providing for his children, they will make sure you get money.
lucien

Return to Loans