What happens if you lie on your taxes?

Postby eman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:22 am

im 18 & my dad lies on his taxes. he is a lawyer and he only pays 1200 a month for child support for 3 kids. my parents are divorced and i want to make a report. what could possibly happen if my dad gets caught lying on his taxes?
eman

Postby santo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 am

im 18 & my dad lies on his taxes. he is a lawyer and he only pays 1200 a month for child support for 3 kids. my parents are divorced and i want to make a report. what could possibly happen if my dad gets caught lying on his taxes?
He would have to pay interest on any money he has to pay in. Depending on the lie he could be facing a fine. If it is outright fraud then there is a maximum of 25,000 dollar fine and 6 months in prison.
santo

Postby favio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am

well it depends on what the lie was. he could get in trouble if he gets caught in a lie but the worst that could happen is pay any taxes due with a penalty and interest. if they find out that he lied on purpose, depending on the ammount of money involved it could be concider fraud and it could be paid with jail time. it all depends on the cituation and how much taxes he evaded.
favio

Postby coughlan24 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 am

He'd go to court,
possibly have to pay them with an interest,
or go to jail.
coughlan24

Return to Taxes